Chapter 18

It's the last night of Golden Week and all the players in gym one and two are lying on their futons. Late into the night, Momoka's phone lights up with a message from the volleyball captain.

Kimura: Midnight countdown, 5 minutes left.

Momoka: Roger. You're so going to lose and don't make excuses about having less players.

Kimura: We'll see and even with less players we'll win.

Glancing over at the awake third and second years, they all exchanged looks before nodding in understanding. The second years woke up the first years quietly telling them to grab their phones, trying to avoid waking their coaches. As the third years opened their Golden Week bags, each taking out two nerf guns. One for them and one for the sleepy and confused first years. After the first years were fully awake, the second years grabbed nerf guns from their own bags and the entire team slowly snuck out.

Outside the gym, away from their coaches, Momoka finally explained what was going on to the first years.

Momoka: Okay, I know y'all are confused why we woke you up in the middle of the night and have nerf guns. The volleyball captain just messaged me so their team should also be getting up and leaving right now. It's currently two minutes until midnight. Once midnight strikes, us and the boys will have a nerf battle around campus. It'll last 30 minutes, 10 minutes of offense for each team, and then a final 10 minutes free for all. You can go anywhere but inside any of the buildings. If you get shot, message in the group chat being created right about now with both teams. Shiori, you know what to do. Meet up with Watanabe to keep track of the scores sent through. First years, any questions? But make them quick. It's almost midnight.

Hiyori: Uhm what about the coaches? What if they find out?

Katou: This tradition has gone on for years, even before our time here. The coaches sleep like rocks. They've never caught on.

Sana: So we target the boys during our turn and only message if we get shot?

Yamamoto: Yes.

Anna: When do we know to stop?

Kobayashi: A mass text will be sent at the last minute, then a three-second countdown between each transition.

Atsuko: Ohh, this is going to be fun. Tsumu and Samu are going to lose.

Momoka: It's midnight. Everyone move out quietly and try your best not to get shot when we're on defense.

At the same time, when Kimura messaged Momoka, the volleyball second and third years were also waking up the first years. However, unlike the girls, they weren't as quiet. The second years aggressively shook them, causing Atsumu to make an abrupt sound, sitting up straight. Osamu punched him in the back for being loud, creating even more noise. In a panic from the sound, everyone froze, looking at their coaches. Their coaches remained still acting asleep, trying so hard not to laugh at how inconspicuous the team was. Thinking they were clear, the boys made their way out of the gym and Kimura gave a similar explanation as Momoka. Then he flipped a coin to determine who's first on offense.

When the clock struck midnight, all the players' phones lit up with two words: Offense Boys. Once those two words were sent and read, silent chaos ensued.

Everyone moved around the campus in the following groups: (first names listed)

Girls:

Scorekeepers - Shiori

Solo - Momoka, Nanami, Natsuki

Duo - Yui & Airi, Atsuko & Sana, Misaki & Miyu, Himari & Riko.