Chapter 6

Finally, it was Friday, the first debut game for the Miya Triplets. At the breakfast table, everyone in the Miya household, especially Mama Miya, was buzzing with excitement for the game after school.

Mama Miya: Ohhh I'm so excited. Today is my favorite baby's first game.

Atsumu: Huh. Mama, I thought I was your favorite baby?

Osamu: *mumbling quietly* I thought I was?

Atsuko: HA! I told y'all I was Mama's favorite.

Mama Miya: Oh my, did I say favorite baby?... I meant my favorite baby girl.

Osamu: Mama, she's your only girl.

Mama Miya: Hmm...Would you look at that?

Atsumu: If Atsu is your favorite baby girl, who is your favorite baby boy?

Mama Miya: Atsumu, sweetie... I'm just messing with you three. I love all of you equally. I don't have one favorite. You're my favorite oldest. Osamu is my favorite middle and Atsuko is my favorite youngest.

Hearing this, Atsuko and Osamu glanced at each other knowingly, then both glanced at Atsumu with smugness on their face. They mouthed to Atsumu, "We're Mama's favorites." Seeing this, Atsumu pouted while Atsuko and Osamu snickered at his reaction. Mama Miya saw and understood the entire interaction between the three, only able to shake her head at their childishness.

To prevent a full-on fight at the breakfast table, Mama Miya quickly changed the topic to direct their attention elsewhere.

Mama Miya: Atsuko, how are you feeling about your first game?

Atsuko: I'm a bit nervous, but I'm more excited than anything... I hope I get put in and do well.

Atsumu: Don't be nervous, Atsu. I'm sure you'll be put in and do amazing.

Osamu: Yeah. You've put in so much time and effort practicing. Show everyone what you got.

Mama Miya: Atsuko, it's okay to be nervous for a game, but remember, your brothers and I will always be there to support you. During the game, if you feel hesitant, all you have to do is look into the audience and you'll see us cheering with all our might.

Atsumu and Osamu: Yeah.

Atsuko: Okay. You're right, I got this. I'll show everyone what I can do.

Mama Miya: There's the Miya mindset. Also, I know you three are excited about the game today, but please try your best to pay attention in school.

Miya Triplets: Yes Mama.

Finishing breakfast, the Miya Triplets grabbed their bags, walking to school. Shortly after arriving at homeroom and sitting down, Sana walked through the door greeting Atsuko.

Sana: Hello, Atsuko.

Atsuko: Hello, Sana.

Sana: Today's the big day, our first game of junior high.

Atsuko: Yes, it is. How are you feeling about the game?

Sana: Nervous and excited.

Atsuko: Same, we have to show everyone what we can do even if we're only first years.

Sana: Let's show them what first years are capable of.

Throughout the school day, the Miya Triplets tried their best to focus, per Mama Miya's orders. It was a grueling seven hours, but they managed to keep themselves together. The whole time, Sana was surprised since she's seen how hard it is for them to contain their emotions despite only knowing each other for one month.

Once school was dismissed the Miya Triplets and Sana grouped up in the hallway.

Atsumu: Atsu! Sana!

Osamu: Hey!

Atsuko: Tsumu! Samu!

Sana: Hello.

Atsumu: It's almost time for your first game, how exciting.

Sana: You could say that or how scary.

Atsuko: Sana, it's okay we got this.

Osamu: You guys have practice before the game, right?

Atsuko and Sana: *not really processing what was asked* Yes.

Atsuko: Wait...Oh my! He's right, Sana. We still have practice. We have to leave now, or we'll get yelled at for being late on our first game day. Bye Tsumu, Samu.

Sana: How could we forget? See you later, Atsumu, Osamu.

Osamu: Bye!

Atsumu: Bye. Wait Atsu!

Atsuko: What Tsumu!

Atsumu: Samu and I are heading home first and heading over to the game with Mama.

Atsuko: Okay. See you then.

Atsumu and Osamu watched Atsuko and Sana's figures disappear down the hallway. Once they were out of sight, Atsumu and Osamu looked at each other, then started leaving the school grounds.

Osamu: They must be really nervous to forget about practice before the game.

Atsumu: Yeah, but they'll be fine once the game begins.

Osamu: I hope you're right.

Around ten minutes later Atsumu and Osamu arrived home. There was still an hour until Mama Miya comes home from work, so they worked on their homework assignments. At the same time, in gym two the girls' basketball team was full of nerves, excitement, and determination to win. In the gym the team was running through and reviewing plays, announcing the starting line-up, and overall, what the three first years should expect during their first junior high game. After some stretching and free time shooting around the court the girls helped the custodian set up the scoreboard, scorekeeper's table, and benches and chairs for all players and coaches since they're the home team.

Once Mama Miya came home and changed out of her work clothes, she and the two boys piled into the car and drove to the school. As soon as the car was parked, Atsumu and Osamu quickly unbuckled, trying to open their doors unsuccessfully because Mama Miya had child safety locks on.

Mama Miya: Boys, I knew, as soon as we reached the school you would try to run out of the car to the gym. I know you're excited to watch your sister's first game, but we need to calm down so we can walk, not run, to the gym. Do I make myself clear?

Atsumu and Osamu: Yes.

Mama Miya: Okay. Now that you seem calmer, let's head to the gym. I don't know where it's at so you boys will have to show me. Stay close, don't run off once we get out of the car.

Listening to Mama Miya, Atsumu and Osamu stuck close walking to gym two. Entering the gym doors, they turned to the side and walked up one of the staircases to the second floor for audience viewing. Stopping somewhere along the railings, the Miya family looked down at the court, the visiting and home teams were seen warming up on their respective halves, one side was practicing layups while the other free throws. The Miya family scanned the players' faces, calling out to gain Atsuko and Sana's attention. Hearing their voices, Atsuko and Sana looked up and waved to them with smiles.

A few minutes passed and the referee blew their whistle, signaling all players to put away the extra basketballs and move to their team benches. The teams were huddled up in circles for last-minute instructions and motivation from the coaches and captains before the starting lineups walked onto the court. The starting lineup for Yako Junior High consisted of the five upperclassmen, meaning Atsuko, Sana, and the other first year teammate were waiting on the bench. Everyone in the gym was full of anticipation as the game unraveled in front of their eyes.