Chapter 15

In both gyms, once everyone was in attendance for Golden Week, they neatly organized their bags on the gym stage, getting ready to begin the first day. In gym one, where the volleyball team was staying, they started by running around campus, followed by the basics: serving, digs, sets, spikes, and blocks. Their coaches believe one could never stop improving their basic volleyball skills, no matter how much experience they have. After doing basic drills, the team was split into two, with the captain and vice-captain on different sides.

Making the teams Kimura (C/S), Ginjima (WS), Aran (WS), Nakamura (MB), Suna (MB), and Kita (WS/L) versus Watanabe (VC/WS), Atsumu (S), Osamu (WS), Yamazaki (MB), Omimi (MB), and Akagi (L).

Throughout the game, both sides of the net displayed high-level playing, proving their worth of being recruited to Inarizaki High, who have attended nationals dozens of times. Kimura and Atsumu were in a constant battle trying to out due the other, with dumps, setting difficult receives, or outsmarting the front-row defense. Suna, having an analytical and manipulative playing style, was able to draw in the opposing blockers, occasionally tricking them. As well as effectively use his flexible upper body to spike around the blockers ending with smug remarks much to the others displeasure. The wing spikers, same side or not, had some sort of rivalry in determining who was the most powerful, Aran being the winner. On defense, Kita and Akagi did a good job in supporting their teammates, recovering their failed spike attempts.

However, with the exception of Kita, Akagi, Omimi, and Suna, the biggest competition while playing was who could do the most no-touch service aces. This competition started between Atsumu and Osamu from Atsumu's bragging about last year's best server award, but the others couldn't help but join in. In the end, the captain's team won the match, 2-1, before they were dismissed for individual practice time.

Meanwhile, in gym two, the basketball team began setting up the scoreboard, scorekeeper's table, benches, and chairs for when Fushichou High arrives. After everything was completed, they did a few warm up laps across the court, then free shooting practice, but nothing intensive to preserve energy. Close to Fushichou's estimated arrival time, Coach Inoue instructed all the players to change into their uniforms. Shortly after, all of them were changed, the visiting team arrived.

The coaches and players greeted one another, situating their belongings on the benches. After the beginning game huddles, the referees, Coach Tanaka and the assistant coach from Fushichou, called for all the starters to make their way onto the court. Fushichou sent out a mixture of third and second years with the following jersey numbers and positions #0 (PG), #10 (SG), #20 (SF), #30 (PF), and #40 (C).

Coach Inoue knows the Inarizaki upperclassmen are familiar with the other team from past games, having a general idea of their skill ranking. Her game plan was to see how the first years reacted playing full court against another school and have them face the reality of the high school division. Seeing whether they'll crack under the pressure or rise to the occasion against people beyond their skill and experience level.

The older players on Inarizaki understood Coach Inuoe's reasoning, but worried for their underclassmen. All of them agreed that their underclassmen showed promise and performed well in practice, but anyone who plays sports knows practice doesn't compare to official games. In official games, you're never able to unleash 100% of your ability. They didn't want the first practice game to crush their spirits while they haven't fully blended as a team.

On the court, Fushichou realized their opponents were all first years, causing them to feel insulted. For many people, sending only first years was the equivalent of not being taken seriously. However, they couldn't do anything about it now. The only option was to crush Inarizaki.

#40: Just because all of you are first years, don't expect us to go easy on you. You're in high school now, not junior high.

Anna: We don't expect you to go easy on us.

Coach Tanaka: Centers, are you ready?

Anna and #40: Yes ref.

Coach Tanaka: 3...2...1 *blows whistle*

The ball was tossed into the air between the two centers, with #40 tipping the ball towards #10 who dribbled to the basket. Hiyori was quick to reach her defensive position, blocking #10's path, causing them to stop taking a shot. The ball bounced off the rim, Anna jumping up to grab the rebound. She caught the ball, but #30 stole the ball out of her hands, unable to keep Inarizaki in possession of the ball. #30 currently with the ball, dribbled out of the crowded key, setting up for a jump shot, making it in.

Already down two points early in the game, Mao quickly took the ball out, passing to Atsuko. Atsuko took her time silently dribbling to the three-point line, looking around for openings to pass to a teammate. Seeing nobody open, she tried to drive the ball to the basket. The ball missed, but she was fouled by #0 in the process, giving her two free throws.

The entire time the Inarizaki bench was watching the first few minutes unfold, they were constantly shouting at the first years. Shouting words like "You have to hold onto the ball" "Get open" "Help her" "Where's your voice. Call for the ball" "I know you can be louder than that" "Y'all are better than this"

For them, it was difficult to watch how quiet they were on the court. The only ones really communicating with each other were Atsuko and Sana. The two played on the same team for all of junior high, which explains how vocal they are, but the other three needed to work on speaking up. Basketball isn't a two-person sport when there are ten people on the court.

The past few weeks during their intra group games, there was always an upperclassman with the first years who would command the plays. Except right now, their upperclassmen aren't on the court to remind them to play loud, aggressive, and confident. Watching the five players, Coach Inoue made a mental note later to assign a leader if they don't naturally establish one themselves.

By the end of the first quarter, Inarizaki was behind by fifteen points. The first years fighting spirts had decreased significantly from the start of the game, but it wasn't completely lost. Seeing as each of them still had some fight remaining, Coach Inoue kept all of them in for the second quarter.

In the beginning of the second quarter, the first years tried to play the way they do in practice moving around, calling for the ball, and without hesitation. Their efforts weren't quite up to what the team normally sees, but it was an improvement from the quarter before. Fushichou noticed that there was a slight shift in their playing style, but it was nothing compared to what they were familiar with from the Inarizaki upperclassmen.

However, as the second quarter continued on, Atsuko started taking command at the top of the key and dictating plays. With her being proactive, the ball was passed around, effectively decreasing the score gap. Coach Inoue noticed this, smiling to herself, realizing she won't have to assign their group a leader. Also remembering Atsuko was the captain of her team last year, meaning in the future it'll be a responsibility she's familiar with.

For the second half of the game, the first years were benched, allowing the second and third years to take over. They were still behind only by ten points instead of fifteen when the third quarter began. As the newcomers entered the court, the Fushichou players grinned, finally able to play against the players they came today for.

On the court, the upperclassmen had this confident air around them, which commanded attention and all who underestimated them would pay the consequences. They quickened the pace of the game without breaking a sweat, unlike Fushichou, a byproduct of the stamina and endurance training they've endured for two to three years.

The first years watched feeling down about their performance but in admiration of their upperclassmen. In the end, Inarizaki lost against Fushichou by four points, unable to completely close and surpass the large gap from the first quarter.

All the coaches and players thanked each other for the game, saying they'll see each other again at the Interhigh preliminaries. After Fushichou left and everything was cleaned up, Coach Inoue went over what went well and didn't during the game.

She dismissed them for the day, allowing them to rest or practice individually, but told them every day leading up to their final practice match against Itachiyama they'll have a drill requiring them to shout while playing to get comfortable communicating.