Chapter 10

A month after graduating junior high, the Miya triplets and Sana stood in the courtyard of Inarizaki High. Everyone was dressed in a white shirt, black pants, or skirt, with a maroon tie and brown blazer, listening to the entrance ceremony speeches. When the entrance ceremony finished, all the first-year students dispersed to their respective homerooms, while the second and third years only began filtering onto the school grounds. Unlike all of junior high where the triplets were separated, they were all placed in the same homeroom with Sana. Whether this was a good or bad decision on the school's part, the teachers would soon find out.

In the homeroom, all the teachers did the typical first-day routine, giving an overview, introductions, ice breaker activities, and reviewing lectures. Throughout the whole day, their classmates sneaked glances at Atsumu, Osamu, and Atsuko, because it's not every day you witness triplets or have all triplets in the same homeroom. However, the triplets didn't mind the attention, for sooner or later their classmates would get used to their presence.

When school was dismissed, and classroom cleaning was finished, the Miya triplets and Sana headed to gyms one and two for volleyball and basketball practice. Usually at the beginning of the year, first years have to wait until after the Friday assembly to join clubs, but all four of them were scouted before attending. Inarizaki High being a powerhouse school meant students typically joined through scouting or recommendations, but it wasn't impossible for someone to join by trying out. Although students who were scouted before the school year were already acknowledged as players on the team by coaches, making competition tough. While walking towards the gyms, the four players conversed among each other.

Sana: I'm so nervous. I hope the other players are friendly.

Atsuko: Don't be nervous, Sana. Coach scouted us for a reason, they saw something in us worthy of playing for Inarizaki High. Even if the team isn't friendly, which I doubt we have one another.

Sana: You're right, Atsuko. I should be excited, not nervous.

Atsuko: Tsumu. Samu. What about you two, are you nervous or worried about meeting your new teammates?

Atsumu: Nah.

Osamu: We already know Aran-kun and met a few of the current third years when we had the joint training camp a few months ago.

Atsuko: That's right, I forgot you guys participated in that.

Sana: Hmm. Well, what about meeting the other first-years who were scouted?

Atsumu: Other first-years? You're talking to the player awarded the best server, I'm not worried.

Osamu: I'm better than Tsumu. If he's not worried, neither am I.

Atsumu: You're not better.

Osamu: Yes I am.

Atsumu: Are not.

Sana: There they go again.

Atsuko: They'll never stop on their own. Hey! You might want to stop if you want to make a good first impression. We're approaching the practice gyms.

Atsumu and Osamu: Fine, but this isn't over.

Approaching the practice gyms, the four of them split into two, Atsumu and Osamu to gym one, and Atsuko and Sana to gym two. Inside the gyms, the coaches and upperclassmen were already present, setting up all the equipment for the recruits' arrival. The Miya triplets and Sana were the first of the recruits to enter the gyms. Shortly after entering the gym, other first-years made an appearance.

In gym one where the boys' volleyball practices the first years stood on the sideline in front of the older players and coaches.

Head Coach: Hello and welcome. As you may already know, I am your Head Coach - Kurosu Norimune. Seeing as all of you were scouted to play for Inarizaki High, I have high hopes that not only will you grow and be successful here, but at the collegiate and professional level if you choose to be.

Assistant Coach: Hello, I am the assistant coach Omi Taro. If you have questions or need advice on anything, volleyball or not, feel free to ask.

Third Year #1: Hello, my name is Kimura Yusei from class 3-6. I'm the captain and I play setter. I hope this year we can continue the legacy of being a powerhouse school and form one cohesive team.

Third Year #2: Hello, my name is Watanabe Rui from class 3-5. I play wing spiker and I'm the current ace. It is nice to see we have many recruits this year.

Third Year #3: Hello, my name is Nakamura Takumi from class 3-6 and I play middle blocker. Let's all work hard to go to nationals.

Third Year #4: Hello, my name is Yamazaki Yuto from class 3-7 and I play middle blocker.

After the coaches and third years introduced themselves, the second years stepped forward doing the same.

Second Year #1: Hello, my name is Ojiro Aran from class 2-5 but you could call me Aran. I play wing spiker.

Second Year #2: Hello, my name is Akagi Michinari from class 2-5 and I play libero.

Second Year #3: Hello, my name is Kita Shinsuke from class 2-6 and I play wing spiker and defense specialist.

Second Year #4: Hello, my name is Omimi Ren from class 2-6 and I play middle blocker.

When the second years finished introducing themselves, all the first years straightened up, ready to make a good first impression once it was their time to speak.

First Year #1: Hello, my name is Ginjima Hitoshi from class 1-1 and I play wing spiker.

Atsumu: Hello, my name is Miya Atsumu from class 1-1 and I play setter. I strive to be the best setter in all of Japan.

Osamu: Hello, my name is Miya Osamu from class 1-1 and I play wing spiker.

First year #2: Hello, my name is Suna Rintarou from class 1-1. I was scouted from Aichi prefecture, and I play middle blocker.

Atsumu: *whispering to Osamu* Woah! He talks differently.

Osamu: *whispering to Atsumu* I know it sounds cool.

Suna: *whispering to Atsumu and Osamu* I can hear you. I'm from a different prefecture so of course I won't talk with the same dialect.

Ginjima: Hehe.

Atsumu: What's funny?

Ginjima: Nothing.

Head Coach: Well now that introductions are finished why don't we start our first practice with a game. I want to see what each of you can do and how well you can adjust to teammates you've never played with. All the first years will be on one team.

Everyone: Yes Coach.

Assistant Coach: Coach Kurosu, they don't have a libero or second middle blocker.

Head Coach: Akagi and Nakamura join the first years. Kita, I want you to play as a libero.

Everyone: Yes Coach.

With the players split into full teams with a setter, libero, two middle blockers, and two wing spikers, the practice game commenced. During the game, the head and assistant coach took notice of where the players exceeded their expectations and needed work. The first years showed promise, with Atsumu and Osamu's knowing synchronization of each other, Suna's blocks, and Ginjima's spikes. With more practice, honing their skills and playing on the same side of the court, they'll become great team assets and forces to be reckoned with. In the end, the first years with Akagi and Nakamura only won one of three sets, much to their displeasure.

When the game finished, everyone packed up, completing practice early. The head coach wanted to end the first practice early to end on a light note, form a plan of action after analyzing the new team, and allow the players to prepare mentally and physically for what's to come in future practices and games.