Chapter 14

Over the next three weeks, all the first years became busy with practices, having little time to hangout outside of the classroom. For Atsuko, this was difficult to handle because she was used to being around Atsumu and Osamu 24/7. Having to walk without them three times a week took a toll on her being noticed by her teammates. During one of their practice breaks the first years were huddled together, conversing when Sana asked what everyone was thinking.

Sana: Hey, Atsuko. Are you okay? We've noticed over the past few weeks there are days before practice when you don't seem yourself.

Hiyori: Yeah Atsuko, what's up? Maybe we could help with what's been bothering you.

Atsuko: It's nothing really. I've just been trying to adjust to Tsumu and Samu being busy with morning practices, walking to school alone.

Hiyori: Hmm...seems rough with y'all being triplets and all, having always been together.

Sana: What if you looked at it like this. Think of it as a learning independence experience.

Atsuko: I guess I could.

Anna: Oh, I know. A few times, my dad was unable to drop me off to school, so I left early with my brother. Maybe you could talk to their coach about attending the morning practices.

Atsuko: I don't know about that, Anna. I don't want to be a bother to the coach or a distraction to the team.

Anna: You won't be a bother. Their coach is super friendly. Although one time he made me take notes and keep score of points. Then another time I had to hand volleyballs for spiking and receiving practice. But to be fair, they don't have a manager, so I get it.

Mao: Atsuko, sounds like you would be doing their team a favor by going.

Anna: If you want I could go to the staff room with you to talk to their coach.

Atsuko: No thanks Anna, I could go by myself.

Sana: See problem solved. Now let's regroup with everyone else before the coach yells at us for slacking.

When the first years regrouped with the rest of the team, their coaches grabbed their attention for some announcements. With Golden Week beginning in a few days, they were going to kick off the weeklong training with a practice game against a local school, Fushichou High, to gauge where they stood as a newly formed team. Using those game results, the team will focus on what worked and needs improvement, then end Golden Week with another practice game against a visiting prefecture team, Itachiyama Institute.

Hearing the news, all the players were pumped finally playing against non-teammates, which is what they've been doing every week. The news revitalized Atsuko, completely forgetting about her plan to speak with the volleyball coach about morning practices.

A day later, the volleyball team was also notified of playing a practice game during Golden Week. In the middle of the weeklong training, they'll play against Itachiyama. Living an almost seven-hour drive or five-hour bullet train ride from Tokyo, they normally wouldn't host practice games against Itachiyama, but Itachiyama were traveling to other schools during Golden Week, so their coaches figured why not visit Hyogo.

Saturday, the day before Golden Week starts, the Miya family and Miyake were lounging around inside.

Miyake: Hey kids, I heard from your mom you'll be spending Golden Week at school for training camp. Ahh, that reminds me of when I was younger, spending Golden Week playing volleyball. What are each of your schedules looking like?

Miya Triplets: You played volleyball!

Atsumu: What position did you play?

Osamu: Why haven't you told us?

Atsuko: We've known you for three years and only now you're telling us. Heck, Tsumu and Samu play volleyball.

Miyake: Well, I never felt it was necessary to bring up and I played setter.

Atsumu: Woah! Could I see you set? I want to see you set.

Osamu: Me too, but to answer your question, Tsumu and I have a practice match in the middle of the week.

Atsuko: I want to watch, and I have two practice games on the first and last days.

Miyake: Hmm... I don't know, my setting skills are a bit rusty.

Mama Miya: Kids, I'm sure one day you'll be able to watch Tani set, but today isn't that day. Atsumu, calm down.

Miya Triplets: Yes Mama.

Miyake: You all mentioned having practice games. Who are they against?

Miya Triplets: I forgot. Sorry.

Mama Miya: Aye you three, it's okay. At the end of Golden Week, you can answer Tani's question. Besides knowing how all of you are, I'm assuming none of you have packed your bags to attend training camp. Tani, what do you say we help them pack?

Miyake: Lead the way.

The five of them walked to the triplets' room. Mama Miya helped Atsuko with her bags, while Miyake helped Atsumu and Osamu with theirs, making sure they had enough bathroom products, gym clothes, and sleepwear. Sleeping bags and pillows were provided by the school for them to sleep on in the gym. During the entire training camp, the teams will be sleeping on the stage or court in their gyms and using the school showers. There are enough showers in different locations for the two teams to not worry about seeing each other.

Finally, Sunday, the first day of Golden Week arrived. The Miya family woke up early to prepare and eat breakfast together. After finishing breakfast, the triplets loaded their bags into the car. Mama Miya didn't want them to walk to school carrying heavy bags, so she is driving them.

Dropping them off, Mama Miya said goodbye, wishing them luck in their practice games, and hoping they learn and grow over the coming days. Finishing off her farewell with, she looks forward to hearing all about their experiences when she picks them up on Saturday.

With their bags hanging off their shoulders, the triplets waved goodbye. They each took a deep breath, turning around, heading to their gyms. As the morning passed, teammates entered the school grounds carrying their heavy bags until everyone was in attendance.