Chapter 9

After the Miya Triplets played their first game of junior high, the next three years seemed to pass by in the blink of an eye.

The basketball and volleyball teams continued practicing three times a week and played practice and official games against neighboring schools. The more the triplets interacted with their teammates and opponents, they realized their shortcomings to being the best in Japan, prompting individual and group practices outside school. Atsuko and Sana continued meeting up at the park on weekends while the Miya triplets alternated which sport they practiced throughout the week when there was no practice.

Whenever there was a volleyball game, Miyake Tani would stand with Mama Miya, Atsuko, and Sana in the audience. During their first year, Miyake Tani and Mama Miya became close, talking to each other while the triplets were oblivious to the growing development between the two adults. Until one day, Mama Miya told the triplets Miyake was coming over for dinner. To say the triplets were shocked would be an understatement.

When Miyake came over for dinner, the triplets grilled him with their eyes whenever Mama Miya wasn't looking. In understanding with one another, the triplets devised a plan to make Miyake's experience hell in an attempt to scare him off. In their minds, if Miyake couldn't handle their worst attempts, he wasn't worthy of living a lifetime in their household beside Mama Miya.

At the dinner table, Atsumu asked Miyake a lot of questions about his age, job, family, previous relationships, intentions, opinions on kids. Basically anything to push buttons while Atsuko accidentally spilled her drink on his clothes and Osamu kicked his leg and stepped on his foot. For the cherry on top when Mama Miya was outside the room, the three full-on fought to test if he would try to intervene or not. The correct answer was not intervening whenever triplets fight, and he did exactly such.

The triplets may have thought they got away from Mama Miya seeing, but she knew they were purposely giving Miyake a difficult time. However, she let them because once one of them is determined, they're hard to stop, but when all three are determined, there's no stopping. Plus, she was curious about their final determination. After the dinner, they did receive punishment for their behavior, but in the end, Miyake received the triplets' approval. Over time Miyake spent countless games, holidays, birthdays, or free time with the Miya family, becoming a father figure and new lover in their lives.

In their second year, Osamu overheard teammates talking badly about Atsumu. The day after, when the three and Sana were eating lunch, he told Atsumu he should be nicer to others because they don't like him. Continuing to stuff rice in his mouth, Atsumu expressed no concern caring what others thought of him, because all that mattered was being the best setter in all of Japan. Hearing this response, Osamu dropped the topic, but it didn't stop him from being concerned about his brother's social life. Occasionally, during practice breaks, when Atsumu was sitting by the door, Osamu would throw a volleyball to the back of his head to make Atsumu chase him, to avoid loneliness.

At this point in their junior high experience, the triplets continued having practice three times a week and playing basketball and volleyball on off days. All their extra practice during their first and second years paid off in their third year.

In their third year, Atsuko became the captain and Sana the vice-captain of the girls' basketball team, taking their team to nationals. Both of them received scouting offers from many schools in their area, one of them being Inarizaki High. On the volleyball team, Atsumu became the official setter and Osamu was a regular playing wing-spiker. The past two years, they improved their skills and teamwork, where the junior high division described them as the perfect duo, with everyone fearing the Miya Twins. They also had a chance to play on the nationals court where Atsumu received an award.

They grabbed so much attention during one of their local official games, the head coach of Inarizaki came to scout. After the game, he spoke to the Miya family, wanting Atsumu and Osamu to join a joint training camp with some of the Inarizaki High School players and play for the school next year.

Atsumu and Osamu agreed to join the training camp, where they reunited with Aran-san, the tall, older player they admired for having a foreign name, when they were in year four. During the training camp, the two boys became closer with Aran, respecting him for more than his name but as a skilled player. Whenever Aran saw Atsumu, he was amazed by his drive and dedication to becoming the best setter in Japan. Always having a volleyball in his hand setting whether it's on the floor, against a wall, or standing in place. According to Aran, Atsumu improves every time he sees him, but Osamu was still the one better regarding being a well-rounded player.

Not long after the joint volleyball training camp, before graduation, the Miya Triplets finally decided where they'll attend high school after weighing their different offers. They all decided to attend the same school, Inarizaki High. Sana was also scouted and chose Inarizaki High, so the two girls will continue playing on the same team.

In the three years that passed by in a blink of an eye, the Miya triplets collectively achieved playing at nationals, being captain, awarded best server, feared as up-and-coming athletes for the high school division, new friends, and a father figure.

When spring break ends in a few months, the Miya triplets will embark on unknown journeys attending Inarizaki High.