Chapter 21

The phone call had only lasted a matter of minutes before the Joker had hung up. He stormed upstairs to the bathroom to take a shower, completely forgetting about Harley waiting for him in the gym.

After scrubbing his body and washing his hair clean, the Joker stepped out of the shower. He grabbed his fresh pressed shirt and slacks and slipped them on.

Opening his sock draw, he began to riffle through it, hoping to find the black and gold cotton pair, that went perfectly with his jacket.

"Where the fuck are they?" He muttered, throwing socks over his right shoulder. Not able to find them, he stood up straight and scratched his head. Then he suddenly remembered that Harley had washed them, and that she was waiting patiently for him downstairs. "Haarleeeeeey? Get your arse up here!" He shouted.

Joker's face turned into a tiny smile when he heard rapid high heeled footsteps echo on the wooden floor downstairs.

"Puddin? What's wrong?" Harley said as she walked towards the bedroom. When she entered the room, she saw the sock draw open. Harley instantly thought that he'd discovered that the keys she'd taken where missing. "Shit." She blurted out suddenly.

"Socks Harley. Where are they?" He asked sharply.

Harley wasn't listening, she'd zoned out thinking that he was going to mention the keys.

Noticing her vacant expression, the Joker snapped his fingers in front of her face. "Harls, I need my socks.. The black and gold ones."

"Huh?" She answered, cocking her head to one side.

"My godamn socks, you dizzy dame!" He shouted, throwing another pair of socks on the floor.

Harley furrowed her brows at his words. "Wait.. What are you on about?"

"My socks?" Her face was still blank. "My bloody black and gold socks, for christ sakes woman!"

"Oh!" The penny finally dropped in her head. She walked towards the draw and smirked. "Ya' mean these ones?" Harley dangled the pair in front of his face.

Joker went to grab them but she hid them behind her back instantly. "Nah-uh, you gotta kiss me first."

"No chance, not after it took me like half a fucking day to get a response outta ya." He made another grab for the socks but Harley darted past him. "I'm not in the mood for your little games sweetheart."

His tone of voice made Harley stop in her tracks. She swivelled around on one foot, and noticed he was dressed in all his finery. Solid gold chains hung around his neck, resting against his tattooed torso, paired with his fitted black slacks and a single diamond earing in his right ear.

"You ain't going to work again are ya?"

"Yes and your making me late, so give me the damn socks!" Joker barked, holding out his hand.

"But J! I've hardly seen you all day!" She whined.

"Too bad. My works more important than-" He stopped, knowing the words that was going to pass his lips would send them both into a spiral of arguments.

"Me?" Harley said, intensifying her gaze on J's now regretful face. "Is that what you where gunna say?" He didn't answer her. "Oh, don't stop now J. Really. I wanna hear it."

"Don't." He warned.

"Don't what? Aren't couples supposed to finish each others sentences?"

Joker rubbed his forehead with his hand. "Your treading on very dangerous ground Harley."

"Fine!" She shouted. "Here. Take your precious fucking socks." Harley threw them at his face and stormed off.

Jokers hand shot out and grabbed her by the wrist, just as she was about to leave. Slamming her into the nearby wall, his hand found her throat.