Chapter 11

Harley stepped out of the bath and wrapped herself in a warm fluffy towel. Walking out into the bedroom, she saw the Joker laying over the bed covers, shirtless, wearing his silk purple pyjama bottoms. His eyes where closed, resting his head on folded arms on the pillow.

He wasn't asleep, he was just meditating in deep thought.

Harley quietly tiptoed over towards the wardrobe and pulled out an oversized tee with a Banksy shooting panda print on it. Slipping it on, she pulled her hair over one shoulder.

Joker opened one eye, grinning slightly. He loved the way she was being so careful around him, as if he'd snap at any moment. And he especially loved the top she was wearing.

Harley turned back towards him, playing with the hem of her shirt, she stepped closer, clearing her throat.

"What?" He asked, eyes still closed, but he could sense she wanted to ask him something.

Does he want me to sleep in the bed.. Or on the sofa?

"W-Where do you want me to sleep?" She bit her lip, waiting for him to answer.

Joker chuckled. "Wherever you want."

She was genuinely surprised, she expected him to throw a pillow at her and chuck her out of the bedroom.

"I want to sleep next to you..." It wasn't really a question, but at the same time she expected an answer.

"Whatever." He muttered dismissively.

"J I-"

He raised a hand to signal her to stop talking. "You either shut up and go to sleep, or go downstairs." He snapped. "Or better yet, I'm sure one of the Henchmen would offer up a warm bed for you."

J propped himself up by his elbows, setting his fiery eyes on her. "But then again perhaps not. Who knows where you've been, they might catch something."

The adrenaline took over Harley's body in that moment, and she slapped him hard across the face.

Harley's hand shot to her mouth, only realising what she'd done, until she'd done it.

J narrowed his eyes at her. He sprung up off the bed sharply, and stood face to face with her, watching her eyes well up as he towered over her.

"Sorry I didn't mean to-" She pleaded, stopping mid sentence.

Joker grabbed her face, searching her eyes.
Just as I thought, the little minx is still high on adrenaline.

"Go to bed." He ordered, releasing her face. The only way to calm her now unpredictable mood was to let her sleep, if her insomnia was to allow her to.

She nodded and walked round to her side of the bed, slipping under the covers, she turned to the side facing the wall. She sighed deeply when she felt the weight of J, getting into the bed beside her.

He faced the opposite direction and switched off the light. Both of them stubbornly ignoring each other, silently slipping into slumber.

Harley woke that morning with a gasp, when she heard the hammering of her phone vibrating against the wooden surface of the bedside table.

"No-nurgh, tooo early..." Her eyes squinted at the sunlight streaming through the curtains.

"Turn it off." J's drowsy voice snapped behind her. Harley reached out to grasp her phone.

But he got there first, leaning over her small frame, he grabbed the phone and switched it off. His body hovering over hers.

Harley looked up at him, seeing his muscles tense under his inked skin, smelling the faint worn aroma of his Armani cologne from the night before.