Chapter 4

In the early hours of the morning the Joker stumbled his way upstairs. Once he reached the outside of the room he tripped on the abandoned pillow in the doorway. Not realising that Harley had kicked him out of the room, he tried the door handle.

"Shit." He whispered, shaking the doorknob. "Harley open this fucking door!"

No response, he thought she was either asleep or ignoring him. A 50/50 possibility.

"Fucking hell." J started mumbling curses under his breath while he patted himself down, looking for the spare key in his pocket.

"HA. HA. You little beauty!" He raised the key in the air and kissed it.

Grabbing his pillow off the floor, he burst into the room, ready for a fight.

A stream of light to lay on Harley's body. She was tangled in bedsheets, with a tear stained face. Her left arm was raised above her head and her breathing was heavy and sharp. Harley was having another nightmare.

"HARLEY! You fucking da-" He shouted as he burst through, he stopped as soon as he noticed her distressed state.

"Ha. Serves you right for being such a fucking drama queen!" He laughed watching her intensely, wondering what nightmare she was re-living. "You stupid, stupid girl." He muttered.

Harley cried out suddenly and began mumbling half words, shaking her head from side to side.

His face turned sour and J rushed over to soothe her, but not before placing his pillow in it's rightful place. Priorities.

"Shh.. It's okay Harls, calm down, just calm down baby." He brushed hair out of her face and looked over her red framed eyelids, tears glistening in the dark and her mouth slightly parted to control her breathing. When Harley had night terrors like this, she was completely shut off from the outside world. They where usually about her father's death or flashes of her past. All very real and painful experiences.

"Why do you always do this huh?.. You make me so fucking angry sometimes, and then just as I start to enjoy your suffering.. You make me wanna help you. Bloody hell woman, why can't you just let me hate you?"

Because Joker wasn't used to looking after anyone but himself, he had no idea what to do in these kind of situations, all he could do is watch her ride it out.

"Shhh.." Joker settled beside her and roughly pulled her close, wrapping his arms around her tiny waist, hoping to calm the erratic movements that usually occurred during her nightmares.

J stared into her face for as long as he could before alcohol and sleep consumed him, sending him into a spiral of his own disturbed thoughts.

Dawn approached and sunlight streamed through the window. Harley was facing away from the Joker with two pale arms crushing her small frame. J was pressed against her back, his face buried into the crook of her neck.

He let out spontaneous cackles of laughter in his sleep when Harley's hair tickled his face. His most recent one woke her.

"Urgh." She groaned, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes, tasting the salty tears of last night on her lips.

"Hmmph." J protested when Harley started to move away from his body. She would of usually welcomed his affection, but due to last nights events she didn't want a bar of him.

"Let go." Harley snapped, trying to untwine his hands from her body.

"No." He growled, still half asleep.

"Let. Me. Go. I don't want to be around you, I-"

"I'm sorry." He brought her face round to meet his. "I'm sorry. It was just a joke. I was drunk."