Chapter 6

"Morning ol'boy." Joker greeted Hutch as he walked into the kitchen, setting two cups down for a brew.

"Er mornin' boss." Hutch picked up his newspaper, trying to avoid his gaze.

J couldn't help but notice his busted lip. "What happened to your face? Get in a bar brawl without me or something?"

"I wish! No boss, I er.. fell over?" He said as though he was trying to convince himself as well as J.

"Unlike you?" Joker raised a brow.

"Yeah, well I've been doing some pretty stupid things lately." He shrugged.

"Such as?"

"Oh ya know, this and that." Hutch looked away from him. But he still felt the Joker's burning eyes watching him.

"So.." J switched the kettle on and leant against the counter. "How long have you been up and about this morning Hutch?"

"Odd question boss? Since 6am roughly." He briefly looked up, then back down.

J looked at the clock, it was now 9:30am. He and Harley had only woken up about an hour ago.

"Is that right?" Joker pushed himself off the counter and walked towards him. "Been in here reading the paper the whole time have you?"

"Yes boss. Why?" He gulped.

"No reason, no reason at all." J suddenly smacked his hand down on the table with a smirk, making Hutch jump.

"Oops sorry Hutch." He chuckled. "Your very jumpy this morning? Something the matter?"

"No boss, just tired is all.." He plastered a fake smile on his face.

"We missed you at poker last night, what did ya get up to?" Joker took a seat opposite him and leant in, tapping his fingers on the marble surface.

"Didn't fancy it boss, I just went straight to bed."

"Mhm, I'm sure you did." J got up to switch off the kettle and poured two cups of coffee, one in his usual bright purple cup with a golden 'J' printed on it and the other in Harley's favourite mug.

Joker looked over his shoulder to see Hutch's hand trembling slightly, something was defiantly going on.

"Seen Harls this mornin?" He asked casually, keeping an eye on Hutch's body language.

"No, I don't think so."

"You don't think so? Have you seen her this morning or not?" He snapped, baring his teeth.

"Yes- I mean, no I haven't. Not this morning." Hutch buried his head further into the 'Gotham Daily.'

"Is that so? Well that's very interesting..." Joker picked up the two cups and walked towards the door, but not before leaning into Hutch's ear and whispered. "Your newspapers upside down." And with statement he left.

As soon as the door shut, Hutch sunk his head into his hands "Oh Shit."

Harley ran down the stairs at top speed, once she reached the bottom, she slid on her feet into the direction of the kitchen. But her feet were unsteady and she slipped slamming right into Joker, who was standing in front of her.

"Shit, sorry Pud." Harley stood straight and brushed hair out of her face.

"What's the hurry Harley? Anyone would think you don't trust me to make a cuppa coffee."

"I just didn't want to miss the sight of you actually doing something in the kitchen." She joked.
Nice save Harls.

"Funny." J handed her the cup and walked into the lounge, she followed closely behind.