Chapter 18

y/n's pov
When I opened my eyes, after blinking several times, I looked around.
"I'm back in this laboratory..." I thought looking at the gauze around my belly and I had a pang of pain.
I picked up the phone and looked at the time.
3:37 pm.
"I was passed out for over three hours." I thought.
About five minutes passed and the pain increased, seeing that no one was coming, I decided to call Bruce on the phone.
-y/n?- I heard his voice -Are you awake?-
-Hey Bruce. Yeah. Come and check me out? The wound hurts me enough.-
-Yes, I'm sorry, I'll be right there.- he said and then ended the call.
A few seconds later I saw the door open and Bruce walked in, followed by Dad and Bucky.
At the sight of the latter I blushed at the memory of what I had done.
-Hey little one.- dad said hugging me.
-Hey...- I whispered and then groaned in pain.
-Here, take these painkillers.- Bruce said, passing me some pills and a glass of water.
I swallowed the pills and I thanked him.
-Is it better?- asked dad.
-A little.- I said, trying not to worry him.
-I have already put stitches on you, now you just have to rest. See you later.- Bruce said leaving the laboratory.
-I'm going too.- dad said, glancing at his friend -Rest, see you later.- he said going out and I mentally cursed him for leaving me alone with Bucky.
-I'm sorry...- he said, sitting next to me on the cot.
-Calm. It wasn't you, but Winter Soldier.- I said trying to smile.
-I am the Winter Soldier...- he whispered, looking down.
-You were the Winter Soldier. You are not him anymore. You are now James Bucky Barnes. Ok?- I asked, placing my hand on him.
-Can I...can I ask you a question?- he asked, looking into my eyes.
-Yes...yes, sure.- I tried not to blush.
-Why...why did you kiss me before?- he asked, with some hesitation -Was it just to distract me or...?-
-I...um...I...- I looked down not knowing how to justify my action.
I felt my eyes tear and I bit my lower lip, trying to hold back the tears, but he failed miserably.
-Hey, hey. It's okay.- he said, wiping my tears with his thumb.
-Sorry, I know that I...I shouldn't have done that...but...- I said looking up.
-But...?- he urged me.
-But I feel something for you, even though I know perfectly well that we will not be able to be together because...- without having time to finish the sentence I found Bucky's lips on mine.
It was a light and sweet kiss.
-It was a long time since I wanted to do it.- he said smiling, when we parted.
I was completely speechless.
-Bucky...I...I thought...- I said, trying to formulate a meaningful sentence.
-Did you think I didn't reciprocate?- he asked making our fingers intertwine and I nodded -Why did you think that?- He asked.
-I didn't think I was enough, I compared myself to every girl and, and everytime, I was the loser. Normal girls are not experiments, they don't have super strength, or scars on their backs, nor do they have nightmares about being kidnapped by Hydra. When I began to have a minimum of self-esteem that waitress gave you her number, and I really thought I was losing you, even if you said you would not text to her.- I said - And, honestly, I was also jealous of your relationship with Nat...- I admitted -I mean she is fantastic, beautiful, agile, funny. In short, the perfect girl.-
-But something in me clicked from the first day I saw you.- he said with a smile -I don't care about having a "normal" girl, in fact I much prefer a girl who understands when I talk about Hydra. That waitress wasn't my type, I told you. I used to ask Nat about you, if you would tell her about me or her advice to get me noticed by you. To know it sooner we would have had less problems both.- he admitted laughing -If I have to be honest, I was jealous of Peter.- he said.
-Peter? Seriously?- I asked -But he is my best friend, besides he is obvious that he is has a crush on MJ.-
-What do you want me to know? He is always around you.- he said with a fake pout.
-Be calm. I've only ever had eyes for a soldier with a metal arm who fought in World War II.- I said, smiling at him.
-Really?- he asked looking into his eyes.
-Yes, Buck, really.- I smiled at him and he pushed a lock of hair behind my ear.
Then I had a pain in my side and made a face.
-Are you ok? I'm sorry, I'm so sorry.- he said sorry.
-I'm fine, I'm fine.- I smiled to reassure him.
He rested his forehead against mine.
-I love you...- he whispered a few centimeters from me.
-I love you too...- I whispered in my turn, to then cancel the distance that was between us.
I felt a strange sensation in my stomach, the famous butterflies in the stomach.
When we broke away he lay down next to me and I leaned my head against his chest.
-So...what are we now?- He asked as he played with my hair.
-I don't know...- I said -You are the first person I feel something for...but I suppose we are a...a couple? If you want, of course.-
-Of course I do.- he smiled and printed a kiss on the forehead.
-How are we going to tell my father?- I asked, stroking his metal arm.
-There won't be any need. I already know.- we heard a voice and we turned.
Dad went into the laboratory, he had a serious look.
Bucky abruptly walked away.
-Dad I...I can explain...- I said feeling my cheeks redden.
-Steve...we…- Bucky mumbled.
Dad looked from me to him.
-Do not say anything. There is no need. Really.- said dad seriously, and then changed his tone -I know Bucky and you could not make a better choice.- he said smiling.
-Are…are you okay with this?- I asked surprised.
-Yes.- he said simply -You both deserve to be happy and I certainly won't be the one to divide you.-
-Thank you very much, dad.- I said smiling.
-Thank you very much, Steve.- Bucky said, smiling back.
-Just one thing, Buck. Be careful what you do. If you break her heart, we Avengers will break you. Is that clear?- he asked.
-She has already suffered enough, I will not hurt her.- he said looking at me.
-I know you won't.- said dad smiling.
-Let's go to the others.- I said getting up, with difficulty, while Bucky supported me, putting his arm around my waist.