45

Estella

And here I am. Back in Houston. I came here to become a better version of myself, not to get pushed around by some guy with a huge ego. I need to just let him go.

Ruby: what gate?

I arranged for Ruby to pick me up today. I haven't seen or talked to her since before everything, since the accident. I miss my life, my friends, and I'm not willing to let it all go. Planning on filling Ruby in, I realize how much has actually happened. How stuck in place I've been. When was the last time I worked? Or talked to any of my friends? Got dressed up? Saw anyone except for Cade?

"OH MY GOD! Estella Josette oh I've missed you so so much!!" Ruby exclaims as she runs towards me.

She gives me a huge hug and practically lifts me off the floor.

"Girl where have you been? What's going on??" Concern covers her face; she hides it well, masking it as pure curiosity. But I can tell she's been worried, I'm sure they all have. I fell off the face of the earth.

"It's a really long story, but I'm so beyond ready to talk about it. However, I need coffee. So let's go?" I just want to be back in my apartment, not sleeping in a house with the three most hurtful people, not sleeping on an office floor, not sleeping in a random room at Cades house. Just my apartment, my bed.

She agrees to get coffee and we quickly head to the nearest Starbucks inside the airport. It's a quiet walk to the shop, even quieter after we order. So much time had passed, I'm not sure I even know where to start.

"So"

"So" we talk at the same time. She gestures for me to speak.

"I've been in Seattle for a while by the way." I quickly blurt. "I went home for a bit because my mom asked me to come back. My sister was going through a breakup and it's all just kind of a blur. But me, her, and my mom are really the only family left of our family. So we kinda have to be there for each other, you know? And also Cade went back with me, but he's a whole other—"

"Wait, slow down. What?" She interrupts my blabbering.

"What?" I ask before nervously taking a huge gulp of my coffee.

"Cade? He went with you to Washington?"

"Oh, that part. Yeah he uh went with me because we're starting a business deal. I'm basically gonna be his intern." I say with my head down.

"Uh-huh. Alright then." She raises a brow at me but nods anyway.

"I'm dying to get home, do you think we could go?"

"Of course, Stell." I missed having friends, so much more than I thought I would.

~~

We arrive at my apartment and as soon as I open the door I'm completely caught of guard by the amount of people crammed in my tiny living room. They all jump up and say in unison "welcome home!"

"Oh god, thank you guys." I let out a small giggle. No one's ever surprised me. And slowly I make out all the faces staring at me. Alison's here? I didn't even know she was still friends with Jen, who's also here. She's standing next to Ben, who looks down to his feet when my eyes meet his. Moving on, even Kristine was here. Oh god, I never even told her I needed off for all this time.