9

Estella's POV

Shit. I needed to stop going out on weekdays. I had a morning shift every day at the coffee shop and I couldn't risk being late or getting fired. I needed this job, it was the only thing keeping me in check. My throbbing headache this morning made it so much harder to get up and shower. But I made a promise to myself that even if I didn't have anywhere to go, I would shower every other morning.

When David had walked out on me, my depression had spiraled and I found myself not eating or sleeping or showering for days on end. My mom had to show up and pry me out of bed every day, and although David leaving shouldn't have hurt me that much. It did. I felt alone again. Just like I did when I was younger. It was mainly hard because I thought David understood my issues, he had been through all those times my sister left my life. But, just like everyone else; they became too much for him and he left. Your fault Stell.

~~

I walked to work that day, the cafe wasn't too far from my apartment. Besides the weather was warm with blue skies and barely any clouds. It was a perfect day for me, not like the rainy ones in Seattle. Opening the coffee shop had become easier each day, but it was still new to me. However, I don't think it would ever get easy seeing Cade every morning. I wasn't really in the mood to hear his insults today.

And on time, he walks right in. Except his face reads something different this time. There's always anger, but something behind it today— guilt? For what? Never mind why would I care. Let's just get this over with.

"Can I get your usual?" I politely ask him.

"Yep." He's very short. I don't know why I was expecting a snarky comment on my clothes or something. I had made sure to where modest clothes today. We didn't have a dress code here, besides aprons, so I went with a turtle neck and leggings today.

I was pouring his coffee when he started coughing quite loud. I turned around out of instinct to see if he was okay, and spilled the coffee all over my hand— successfully burning the shit out of my skin.

"Are you okay?" Really? I expected him to laugh or be rude about how I would need to brew a new pot and it would take longer.

"I'm fine. I'm sorry but I'm going to have to brew a new pot. That was the last of this one. If you just give me a couple of min—"

"I don't have time for that shit. Remember? I have a real job? Just make the coffee and stop fucking rambling. It's annoying as hell." Ah there's the Cade I've come to hate.

"Right. Sorry." Once again tears stung in the back of my eyes. Why did he have this affect? It infuriated me, I never let people walk all over me. I thought I was stronger than that. You let David abuse you for years and then you said sorry. Strong? God I'm pathetic.

I finished brewing the pot and handed it to him quickly, avoiding any eye contact. I didn't know how it would affect me to look him in the eyes.

"Why aren't you looking at me?" Crap. Why did he care? He just wanted to see me breakdown didn't he.

"Sorry. I was just making sure not to spill the coffee" lame excuse Stell. Lame.

"Stop fucking apologizing. That's annoying too. Christ it's like you were put on earth to annoy people." Ouch. Screw him. I didn't need this type of negativity, not now. And there goes a tear— completely betraying me and falling from my eye. I wipe it away quickly, hoping he didn't see. But I was wrong.

"Shit. Sorry. I didn't mean it like that." Why is he apologizing? I'm just sensitive.

"It's fine. Your total is 5.02 by the way. I don't wanna hold you up on your way to your real job." I was trying my best to sound confident but instead it came out shaky and pitiful.

"That was a bit rude. You should be nice to customers princess." He said as he was swiping his card. I bet he's loaded. Also was he just making a joke? And what is it with this guy. And why is he calling me that?

"Don't call me that. Please." I just didn't like the idea of the same person who thinks I'm a slut also calling me a princess.

"Okay princess. Have a nice day." He winked and walked out.

The rest of the day was going smoothly and I was able to get off a bit early. I decided to call my mom just to check in on how she was doing. My sister was back again, but who knows for how long. And my dad had died soon after the breakup with David. Needless to say, my mom only had me right now. There was no one else left anymore.

"Hi mom! How is everything?" I heard shuffling around when she picked up.

"Good sweetie. How are you? How's Houston? Any boys yet?" I literally got here five days ago what?

"Mom, I just got here. No boys yet. Houston's good though, I love the warmth and the people are so kind. I'm great mom, really I'm good." For the first time in a while, that wasn't totally a lie either. I was good, I had a job and friends, a nice place to live. I mean things could be better but they were still going well as is.

She asked more questions and I gave more answers. But I found myself reluctant to talk about Cade. Although, we had barely talked except when he got coffee in the morning, I still felt some weird relationship with him. It was like we were friends in a way. I mean we knew who one another was which makes us friends, right?

Either way I avoided a conversation about him because my mom would tell me to get his number, and that's not something I needed from a rude boy toy. When I finally ended the call with mom, I saw a text from Ruby. She said Cade asked about me. How does she know him? Did they sleep together? I felt a tinge of jealousy before pushing it away and mentally gagging at myself.

She said to come out to the club tonight and that he would be there. This was the third night in a row of clubbing. I don't really think it's good for me.
Me: nah Im okay. I'm just gonna stay home and read some.
They would allow that right?
Ruby: girl you are not spending your night reading. Come on! Live a little. Besides Mr Hottie will def be there!!
I don't wanna see him though, how do I tell them he's an arrogant jerk to me?
Me: fine I'll come, but I'm not drinking.
Jen: that's fine. Me and Ruby will only a drink a little then! Can't wait to see you :)
Alright, one night won't hurt? Besides no drinking means no problems right?

~~

[ yay! Another chapter down! I'm starting to like how this book is coming together. But I'm conflicted on how quickly I want things to progress. Also, do you think Cade will be at the club? Why was he asking about her? Thanks for reading! <3 ]