15

Estella

Waking up on this fine Monday morning, I dreaded going to work. For one, I had ignored Cade as much as possible besides a few replies to his texts. And two, I knew he would show up today. If anything; to spite me. But this was my job, and I would never let a random hookup get in the way. So I brushed my teeth, took a shower, and got dressed.

Arriving at the coffee shop, I prepared myself for the day. I got different pots brewing— making sure not to make the same mistake twice of needing to brew a new pot on the spot— and I set up the register. It wasn't long before he walked in. I don't know what exactly erupted in me when I woke up this morning, but I was in no mood for the snide remarks.

"Regular?" I asked him dimly. I didn't want conversation, I honestly didn't want anything to do with him.

"Yes. Regular. Princess." There it is. There's the start of an already bad morning.

"I asked you to stop calling me that. Please."

"It didn't seem to bother you when I was making you come." Wonderful. As if I needed a reminder of my mistakes.

"Your what princess? Mistakes?" Shit. I said it out loud. Crap crap crap.

"Cade, I didn't mean it like that. You just sleep with a lot of women and I don't want this held over me. It was a meaningless thing, I wish you would just let it go." That wasn't too bad right?

"You're right. It was meaningless. You are nothing but the same slut I thought you were." Nope. It was bad. His words cut through me deep this time, worse then they had before. I can only guess it was because of the intimacy I had shared with him under a week ago.

"Here's your coffee." I handed it to him, took his money, and went on with what I was doing. I tried not to pay any attention to the fact that he was still here, watching me. I made my way through more customers, and yet there he stood.

"Are you planning on leaving soon? Or stalking me to the end of my shift?" I tried to sound genuinely curious, but all that came out was sarcasm.

"I was waiting for that pretty little mouth of yours to open up and say something. But now that that's done. I'll be on my way." Good. That's what I want. Jerk.

"Watch your mouth babygirl. You're plying with fire and we both know you don't wanna get burned." He seethed down at me. I had said that last bit out loud too didn't I? What were you doing Stella. Pull it together.

"And what exactly would that fire be? Mr walker?" Why was I continuing to play along!?

"You don't wanna know the things I've done sweetheart, trust me." Guilt flashed through his eyes for just a moment, then they were clouded over with a deep coldness.

"Then you better get going. Your real job is calling." Okay okay, that comeback was getting old. But I didn't have anything else to say to him. It was all I could think of. Besides, he walked away after that which means I had to be doing something right. Right?

~~

Jen: come on Stell. Come out tonight. Please?
Sam: yeah come out!
Me: guys, it's a Monday. I can't.
Ruby: Cade will be there. I'm sure of it. He always fucks some girl.
Mentally thanking Ruby for that one right about never.
Me: If I come out and don't have a good time I'm personally murdering all of you.