4

[ TW: mild assault toward end of chap ]
~~

It had been a few days since I first moved in. Slowly, as my things arrived, I was able to start piecing together my apartment! I had already decorated the bedroom, moved in whatever clothes I had in my suitcases, and began hanging them up. My mattress had arrived yesterday, along with the bed frame. It was a black metal frame that curved at the headboard. But for me, it fit my style perfectly. As did most things in my place!

I had been constantly sending my mom pictures of the new place while trying to keep up motivation to decorate. However, what I needed to do was find a job. I knew moving would take a hit on my savings, but it's only been a few days and I'm already starting to see it in my bank account...

I went around to local business, and called a couple of them too. I hadn't quite decided what I was doing with my life just yet. I had a degree in English literature, and had taken multiple journalist classes. But right now I just wanted something to hold me off. I was hoping for a retail store or cafe, maybe even a small jewelry shop.

~~

After running around town to various places, I finally walked into a small cafe called Corner Coffee.

"Hi welcome! Can I get anything for you?" A nice lady says, she seems maybe in her mid forty's. She has blonde hair with some streaks of grey.

"I was wondering actually, do you guys have any job positions open?"

"We do! Would you like an interview set up? Do you have any experience working with food?"

"I worked in a book store back in Seattle, specifically in the cafe part of it. We mainly sold croissants and heated up muffins though" I laugh lightly. Hopefully It's a simple job, I need one soon— as soon as possible.

"Well that seems awesome! Seattle? Really? What a far ways! What makes you come down here?"

"Well... I had a pretty bad relationship and Seattle just never seemed to fulfill my satisfactions." I nervously answer trying to hide the emotions it brings up talking about my hometown. She looks at me with a bit of frown, pity behind it.

"Well in that case. Welcome to Houston! I'm sure you'll fit right in here, and the job is yours. You can come in on Tuesday for training." Wait what? What about the interview? I hate when people hand me things out of their pity for me. It's like I'm a walking sad case that everyone looks at and says 'oh she's depressing'.

"Thanks so much! I'll come in on Tuesday. Let me leave my number and name!" I smile at her as I grab a napkin to write it down on. After writing down my info I order a small chai latte and leave the cafe. Hopefully this is a good new start, she said I'll fit right in so I guess we'll see.

~~

Back at my apartment, I sit down on the sofa I had set up. It was comfy and small, just a loveseat. But for me it was all I needed. I grabbed a book from the side table— The Fault In Our Stars— and began reading for the seventh time. It's my favorite book, it's just so full of pure love and innocence. Of course it makes me cry every time but it's worth it to see the way two people can truly be what the others soul needs.

I read for about an hour and a half before hearing a small growl come from my stomach. Trying to decide what I wanted I walked to my kitchen to see if there was anything worth eating. For the past couple of days I had eaten McDonald's, cereal, and some salads from the local supermarket. I settled on some chicken salad I had bought when I bought the salads. Topping crackers with it and grabbing some water, I went back to my couch and flicked on my small tv.

The rest of the night consisted of flipping through hallmark movies and crying over my book. Before I finally decided to go to bed. However, falling asleep wasn't too easy. The past week or so I had trouble getting to sleep because my mind and thoughts wouldn't just shut up. It was honestly complete bull shit that I couldn't just turn it all off.

I would lay there thinking for literal hours about every single detail of my relationship with David, which was stupid because I had grown to hate him since he met up with me. All the fights and raw emotions for what? For him to walk out to some girl and sleep with her. Even though I'm sure that night was my fault. Which made me hate him more.

~~

We had been fighting all week over this. All I wanted from him was to come with me to see my family. "My dad is dying for fucks sake! Can't you ever care about someone other than yourself?!" I was screaming at him now and there wasn't anymore holding back.

"Goddamn Stell, you act like the world revolves around your shitless life! Get over yourself. I'm done with this shit. I don't need it anymore and I sure as hell don't need you constantly making me the bad guy" his words hurt. I'll never forget that side of him. I had seen it more often towards the end of our relationship. But every time, it still scared me.

"Then leave! What are you still doing anyway? Clearly you hate it here! You're never even here! I stay alone almost every night and when you are here you're either buried in work or drunk off your ass. You say I'm the selfish one? All I've ever wanted was for you to show you goddamn care David! Where is the Dave that I fell in love with? Huh? Where did he go? I would do anything to get him back." Tears were pouring at this point and there was no going back.

He stepped towards me continuously until I was back against our counter. He raised his hand and well did what he always did when he was mad. He smacked me.

"Don't ever say I don't care. You know I do more for you than anyone ever has. Where was your dad when you needed to go to rehab two years ago? Huh? Who paid for that shit?" Smack. "Huh? Answer me?" Smack.

"You did Dave Im sorry. You know I just get sensitive. I'm sorry" I sobbed out while struggling to get away from him but when I raised my hands to his chest to push him away, he grabbed those wrists and turned them. Holding me in place. Painfully digging into my skin, guaranteeing to leave marks the next day. "I'm sorry."

And he walked out.

~~

[ wow that was a lot. I'm sorry but you guys had to see the truth to her relationship with David. Anyways though, Thank you guys for reading. And don't worry! Cade will be back sooner than you think ;) ]