#60: Pink to Purple

Start from the beginning

Some of the girls on the team also looked my way, possibly whispering or exchanging looks being that a person like me couldn't have such a person like that. Or maybe that sort of assumption is all in my head and I'm thinking a little too much into—

"Isn't that Emma's boyfriend?" One whispers to another. How could they possible know her?

Quickly, I look toward Gus. He bends over the railing and drapes his arms, waving as if I was— immediately, I started to feel like a joke to him and everyone around me.

The girl Emma— is also haunting.

Before I could think any further or sort out the clutter in my head, the coach rings a whistle and I'm ready to leave.

"Remember! Practice is cancelled tomorrow! But make sure to condition!" He announces and I'm one of the first to walk through my team mates, bypassing on the way out.

"I'll be outside Chris!"

The voice belonging to Gus and I'm turning into a panic, especially as I walk through the changing room to my locker.

How am I to sneak pass Gus? If there was a back room I knew of but that wouldn't be possible. Even then, he could and most certainly be standing by my car. Leaning on it, actually.

Comfortable and unbothered.

I used to feel that way too— well, a very long time ago. As I recall the last time I felt that way I overheard the girls talking on the opposite side.

"Amelia doesn't know what she's getting herself into— I feel sorta sorry for her."

"Are you kidding? She thinks she's above this place— why do you think she transfers all the time? She doesn't want to be here but when her rich daddy doesn't want her anymore she comes back her— she's a sad case but who cares? I don't."

The little laugh at the end stuck a knife though me— her voice belonging to Hailey— the girl that has know me since the start.

"You're probably right but—

"But nothing! Let Gus break her— and we'll watch him run back Emma, I think it will be pretty entertaining!"

You see, what am I to think? Or react?

Slowly, I want to dress. Maybe Gus will walk off— or something might come up. Possibly Emma will text him.

That's all I'm set on as I peel off my swimming suit and wrap myself in towel, heading to the shower room.

The steps I took are dragged and as I stood under the shower head, I gradually turn the temperature higher and higher. The hot water hit my back and my head is lowered, looking to my toes.

I don't notice anyone around me.

My back, at this point must've been a deep red but the pain of it compensates everything coursing through me.

The shower must've lasted thirty minutes and I was the only one left, brushing through my tangled hair— that must've take fifteen minutes. The clothes I had— I made sure they were neatly fitted.

As for my hair, I tied it up only to change my mind and turn it into a side braid. Gathering my stuff took the shortest amount of time and walking out was a task.

There wasn't a person in sight but slowly I approached the double door to the outside and saw Gus waiting— laying on the hood of my car with his hood covering his head as he looks up to the evening sky.

It's a pretty pink.

I stand there a moment longer but thankfully I did because Emma appeared. From thin air, she walked— with such confidence.

"Gus! Is that you?"

He turns over to face her as she approaches. I see them interact— the way she grabs at his hand and he lets her. Her laughter is loud enough for me to absorb the affection they shared even more.

Like I had sculpted them.

"Come on!" She voices, yanking at his hand until she's actually pulling him off. At her next pull, he falls to the ground making Emma laugh.

He lays there and she kneels down.

They seem to share a few more words and Emma looks over, I'm sure our eyes meet.

"Cambridge!"

I'm startled— turning to see the coach walking over.

"I'm glad you're still here, I was wondering if you could take the girls for a run tomorrow?"

"Uh—

No.

"You run everyday don't you?"

Sometimes. But how would you—

"In fact, I think it should be a regular weekend run for the entire team— what do you think?"

"Uh— I actually...

I look toward the parking lot only to see Gus standing right outside, facing the other way. Quickly, that's how fast I needed to make an excuse.

"I'm— I'm actually tutoring tomorrow."

The coach glances at Gus, "I see— well, let me know when you'll be up for it."

I nod my head and inch away until I'm colliding against the door. The coach verbalized once more, "Have a great weekend Cambridge!"

"You too Coach!" I say as I'm out the door and in Gus's presence. He turns towards me— his smile soft and his hand in pockets.

"Took you forever! What happen?" He questions, bumping shoulders with me causing me to stumble a bit.

"Your coach hold you back?" He adds as we walk down the cement staircase.

"What did he hold you back for?"

I don't answer, only to feel him whisper in my ear and grab onto my waist.

"Did he wanted to see your backstroke? Or did he want to catch a glimpse of that perfect ass in the water?"

With one motion, I threw my arm— having my wrist make contact with his chin.

"Ow! What the fuck was that—

My lips didn't mean to crush against his and I don't think his hands were meant to be wrapped around my waist, pulling me in but that's what happen.

The pink sky is turning purple but we don't notice— I'm sure we didn't.

He smells of weed and I'm of chlorine— what a combination. They don't mix, right? People like us shouldn't be doing this with each other, I know. The logic of having an indoor pool beside an ocean— that's how much we didn't make sense. I'm sure of that too but here we are— and it's a little more than perfect.

Pulling away, Gus is smiling and I'm lost in his
eyes— my hands on his shaved chin. A boy turned older— with hands on the spot he joked about moments earlier. Where did it all change?

I wish I knew— like pink to purple— the colors he wanted his hair to be (one day) and what the sky did just now.

- -

- -