Chapter 22 - More Young Padawans

The Once and Future Queen

| | |

"How many did you bring?"

"Just one."

"Alright...who is this?"

"This is Ryan."

I look at the kid Nicolas brought over. He's a smaller kid with brown eyes, brown hair, slightly tanner skin and a small smile on his face.

"He's Deaf," Nick tells me.

"He is?" I question.

"Yeah, kid don't play with him cause they're all scared they're going to lose their hearing."

"That's mean."

"He's my only friend cause we're both weird."

"You're not weird, you're just unique."

"That's exactly what people say when they find someone weird," He points out with a little pout.

I narrow my eyes at him, "You're too smart for a 9-year-old."

"I'm 10!"

'Just one more year then some school sends a letter,' I remind myself.

"Okay. Well, I know ASL."

"What's that?"

"American Sign Language. It's a language that's used by Deaf people in America. I had a friend who was Deaf and he taught me. So, I'll teach Ryan ASL," I state, walking up to the boy and start to sign. His eyes widen in amazement as he learns how to communicate for the first time. He eagerly and quickly picks up the signs.

I sign to him that I'll be teacher him and Nick how to play soccer.

Of course, they eagerly say yes.

I get Nick to go get a ball and bring it back. He does and brings it to me and we start to play in the streets of the lower town. The rules of soccer are pretty simple as you just kick it around and try to get it past a certain point. I use a stick and carve out the goals in the ground.

I explain it to the two boys, using signs and speaking out load and both boys start. Obviously I'm better as I have longer legs and have played this longer then either of them have.

Even some other kids join in, completely forgetting their differences. I play referee and just watch the kids run after the ball and horribly kick it around.