Chapter 9 - Unoriginal Insults

Valiant

edited (2/20/22)

edited (2/20/22)

| | |

There's a tournament happening, and Merlin is 'training' with Arthur. Merlin is struggling with the armor, sword, helmet, shield, practically everything.

I was going to practice with my bow at the ranges (not that I really need it), but then I catch sight of Merlin. Deciding that whatever he was doing was far more interesting, I move my wave over there.

"Ready?" Goldilocks asks, his sword in hand. I guess they are practicing for the tournament.

"Would it make any difference if I said no?" asks Merlin.

"Not really," the Prince replies swinging his sword around. "Body. Shield. Body. Shield. Shield. Head." He hits the Merlin's helmet with a nice audible, metallic ding. "Come on, Merlin, you're not even trying."

"I am."

"Once more."

"Oh no." Is heard under the helmet.

"To the left. Right and left. Head."

"Ow."

"Come on Merlin. I've got a tournament to win."

"Can we stop now, please?" Merlin begs. I grin at the interaction unfolding before me.

"Shield. Body. Shield. Shield." One last strike to the head and an 'ow' heard, Merlin collapses to the ground. I put my arrow into my quiver and walk over to the duo. "You're braver than you look. Most servants collapse after the first blow."

"Is it over?" Merlin hopefully asks from his spot on the ground. I can barely see his face from under the helmet.

"That was just a warm-up. How's your mace work coming a long?" Goldilocks swings the mace over his head. Merlin bangs his head against the ground with a deep sigh.

"How about an actual workout?" I offer, helping Merlin up off the ground.

"You?" the blonde asks confused.

"No, the troll hiding over there in the distance," I sarcastically reply with a roll of my eyes. He scoffs, also rolling his eyes, clearly not liking my sarcasm. "Need I remind you, I beat your arse with just a bow, now imagine that but with a sword." I smile up at him.

"No," he says, shaking his head, "I won't fight you."

"Why? Because I'm a woman?"

He rolls his eyes. "No, bu-"

"But what? I can surely do better than Merlin, and like you said you have a tournament to compete in. So your options are me or the dead looking Merlin over there," I say pointing between me and to the exhausted Merlin sitting down against a tree.