Old Relationships and Fasting

Bondita was feeling comfortable. All too comfortable. So the first time that Kaka banged his cane on the ground, she just cuddled up closer to Anirudh. Anirudh also had his eyes closed and it took a moment to register that someone else was there. 

He pulled Bondita closer to him and mumbled, "Not yet Bondita." 

Kaka smacked his cane on the floor once more, this time louder. This was when they both awoke with a start. 

"Kaka?" Anirudh gasped.

"Kakasasurji," Bondita squeaked, looking down with embarrassment.

They sat up quickly and Bondita covered herself with the blanket, not knowing why she did so because she was dressed completely appropriately. 

Anirudh smiled awkwardly at his Kaka. "Kaka, it's not --" he started. 

"It's not what I think it is?" Kaka demanded, eyes wide with anger. 

"Yes Kaka," Anirudh said. "It isn't!" 

"You two were sleeping like this all night in the study and it isn't what I think it is?" Kaka asked. 

"We didn't do anything Kaka!" Anirudh argued. 

"An unmarried man and woman cannot spend the night together!" Trilochan Kaka yelled, "How many times do I have to tell you!"

"Kaka, that's what you think, right? It's not what we think," Anirudh said. 

"Just because you two grew up in London does not mean your thought process is right," Kaka argued. "I can't believe this. I made one request to you two, and you couldn't even fulfill that. I was getting you married quickly, wasn't I? Still you were this restless!" 

"Kaka, it's not about thought process!" Anirudh said, now getting upset. He stood up and loudly said, "Have we hurt anyone? No right? It's between me and Bondita. Why is everyone else ready to judge?"

Bondita quietly got up and folded the blanket, deciding to not get involved. Both Anirudh and her Kakasasurji were stubborn. Neither one of them would want to give up their view and accept defeat. 

"Bahu!" Kakasasurji said, "At least I expected better from you! You couldn't say no to him?" 

Bondita felt her cheeks burn.

"Kakasasurji," Bondita squeaked, unable to look at him, "We didn't mean to hurt you, but what my Pati - my Sakha Babu has said isn't wrong." 

Anirudh smiled proudly. 

"See!" Anirudh burst out. 

Trilochan Babu shook his head with displeasure. 

"If I didn't already consider you my bahu, then things would be very different," he told Bondita. "Go and get ready." 

She nodded and glanced at Anirudh before heading out of the study. Kaka just glared at Anirudh before leaving as well. 

Bondita went to her giant Durga Maa sculpture and stood in front of it. She pressed her hands together and closed her eyes in prayer. 

"Durga Maa, today is a very big day for me. Although I always believed that I was married to my Pati Babu, for the whole society we have been separated for eight years. Today, we will finally unite on a happy note. Durga Maa, I am so happy that he will smile at our marriage this time," she gushed, her eyes filling with tears. 

How could she even begin to express how beautiful all of this felt to her? 

"Durga Maa, if God had a form, it's my Pati Babu. He has given me wings and taught me to fly. He has made me capable and independent. He has shown me that all the power is within me, and he has freed me from society's shackles and bondages," she expressed.