He Was Always There

The next day, when Trilochan Roy Choudhary had invited the Panditji over, Anirudh found this the perfect moment to steal some moments to spend with Bondita.

Bondita was in the kitchen with Bihari ji, helping prepare lunch. Anirudh entered the kitchen and glanced at her, trying to give her a look with his eyes.

Bihari ji saw Anirudh and asked, "Barrister Babu, do you need anything?"

Anirudh looked at Bondita, who just looked down with a blush.

"Yes, I need something," he answered.

Bondita knew that he was trying to get her attention, so she just said, "Bihari Babu, I will come back."

"Okay Bahurani," Bihari Babu said, and Bondita wiped her hands on a towel and left the kitchen.

As soon as she left, Anirudh started to follow her, causing Bihari ji to scratch his head and look at Anirudh suspiciously.

"Strange," Bihari ji said. "He said he needed something."

Kaka was in the next room, but Anirudh couldn't wait. He held Bondita's hand in the hallway itself.

"Pati Babu!" Bondita whispered, and tried to pull her hand away, but Anirudh's grip on it grew firmer.

"I won't let go of this hand now that I've held it," he told her, winking.

Bondita was immediately transported to a memory of her childhood, when she had caught Sampoorna Didi's first husband Sourabh holding her hand in a similar way.

At that time, as a ten year old, she created a big scene because she thought her cousin got hurt. However, Anirudh had very nicely explained to her that there was a difference between good and bad touch. If Sampoorna didi liked the way she was being touched then it was classified as good touch.

Today, even though Anirudh was holding her hand forcefully, she finally understood what that meant.

And just then, an overwhelming realization struck her.

Her Pati Babu had been with her since the beginning of her youth. He had been like her shadow. There with her through it all. He had seen the worst of her and the best of her. He had seen her most beautiful sides and the most embarrassing sides.

He had seen every shade of her.

Wasn't this what true companionship was about?

Anirudh's hold on her hand loosened, and Bondita pulled her wrist away, tears in her eyes.

Everyday, she felt like she was being moved. Everyday there was an overwhelming feeling in her chest, that showed her that this man -- no her God was more than anything she deserved. Everyday, she felt like she could surrender everything to him -- her whole life and existence was nothing in terms of what she could give him. She could do anything for him.

"Bondita?" Anirudh asked her as he noticed the fresh tears forming in her eyes. "Did I hurt you? I'm sorry."

Before he could do anything else or say anything else, Bondita reached down to his feet.

"Bondita what are you doing?" he asked, alarmed.

She touched his feet lovingly, and didn't get back up. She stayed there until Anirudh himself bent down to lift her shoulders. When he stood her back up, she looked in his eyes and whispered, "You've been my shadow through everything. I - I can't get over it. You're the reason I am who I am. You're the reason for everything. I can't even explain it in words just how deep of a mark you have etched on my soul. You are everything to me."