Chapter 42

I FORGOT that I unblocked his phone number before

I FORGOT that I unblocked his phone number before. That's why he was able to text me ulit. And now... I'm back in this awkward situation with Cash. He was sitting across from me while we were waiting for Manong to come. Sabi kasi ni Cash umalis lang daw sandali si Manong, pero babalik din agad. Kaya nandito kami ngayon sa office naghihintay dahil maraming customer sa labas.

Hindi ko rin alam kung bakit ako pumunta dito dahil lang sa text niya na nami-miss na raw ako ni Manong. Maybe... just maybe, there's still a part of me that somehow wanted to see Cash again after our encounter a while ago.

"Serenity," he called my name. My eyes easily found his, meeting his gaze. The expression in his eyes is soft and peaceful. Nakakapanibago dahil iyong huling beses ko siyang nakita ay puno nang pag-aalala at takot iyong mukha niya.

"Hmm?"

"Are you staying here for good?" he asked. His gaze didn't leave mine, waiting for my answer. The tension between us is palpable. It made my heartbeat race.

I pursed my lips into a thin line before slowly shaking my head. "Hindi," I swallowed hard. "Babalik din ako sa LA pagkatapos ng kasal ni Arlo." I added. I saw how the expression on his face changed.

He sighed abruptly before averting his gaze from mine. "Why?" nagulat din ako dahil sa biglaang pagtanong ko. I bit my lower lip, regretting my question.

Is it possible that even after a year of hard work, moving on from him is suddenly gone in the snap of a finger? I feel like the year that I spent trying to forget him was futile because here I am... still feeling the same way towards him.

The guy that I wanted to forget is also the guy who can make my heartbeat go wild with a simple gaze.

"Why do you look disappointed that I'm not staying?" I asked. He met my gaze once again. My breathing became heavy, and my jaws were clenched. I am staring at him intently, waiting for some answers from him that I've been wanting to hear.

"I—" he sighed, "I don't want you to go," diretsong sagot niya sa'kin. His eyes didn't falter.

"I don't want you to leave Serenity. I want you to stay." madiin na sagot niya.

"Why didn't you tell me the truth when I asked you before I left? Why do I have to hear it from Hank? Why couldn't you just tell me the truth, Cash?" The tears started pooling in my eyes. Bakit ang tagal ni Manong dumating?!

I waited for him to answer my questions, but a minute had passed, and he was just staring at me, just like before. Ni hindi niya ako mabigyan ng tamang sagot.

Parang dati lang, ako lang iyong gustong lumaban at kumapit kasi palagi siyang nauunahan nang takot.

Patayo na ako para sana hanapin si Manong dahil gusto ko nang umalis nang bigla siyang magsalita.

"I got scared..." he sighed. His eyes searched for mine. Sadness, longing, and fear were evident on his face. "I'm scared that my father will hurt you the same way he hurt Cynthia. I'm scared of loving you because you will only get hurt in return."