Chapter 41

WHY

WHY...

Why wouldn't he tell me if he was in love with me? Why do I have to learn about his feelings for me through Hank? He had his chances—hundreds of chances—and yet, he chose not to tell me.

Why does he don't want me to know that he loves me... just why.

"Sera, are you alright?"

"S-sorry Kuya may iniisip lang," I reasoned out, smiling slightly at him, but Kuya Baker obviously doesn't believe me, but he just shrugs anyway.

"Are we leaving na ba Kuya?" I asked, changing the topic. I shifted in my seat, waiting for Kuya's reply.

"Yeah, just waiting for Atlas' reply," he says, still typing on his phone. For sure si Ate Olive na naman ang ka-text niya. We will visit Atlas today because he just got discharged from the hospital after his car accident.

I wonder if Atlas and Gael are okay na. Unfortunately, I was with Gael at that time kasi when they got into a massive fight, and it was an ugly scene. And just a few months ago, I met with Gael when she was in LA for her US trip, and she seemed okay naman.

"Atlas just texted me. Let's go."

"Can I drive Kuya?" I bat my eyelashes. Kuya sighed before throwing me his car keys. "Yay!" I beamed. Na-miss ko bigla iyong sasakyan ko dati. I had to sell that too when I moved back to LA.

Kuya was busy with his phone while I was driving. He was just telling me where we were going. Siguro kaya rin siya pumayag na ako ang magdrive para makatext niya si Ate Olive. The ride was smooth and quick because there was no traffic naman dahil hindi rush hour.

When I parked the car in front of the Empire Building, my heart automatically started pounding so fast. Memories of us start flooding my head. Our memories together.

Nostalgia is powerful indeed. It induces strong feelings in us. Happiness, longing, and even grief.

I immediately swallowed the lump forming in the back of my throat. Bakit nakalimutan kong sa Empire nga pala nakatira si Atlas.

"Sera?" Kuya called. I didn't notice that I hadn't moved a muscle for almost a minute after parking the car.

I cleared my throat. "I'm fine lang," I said defensively. "Let's go na," I continued before he got a chance to say something. I quickly pulled out the key from the ignition and got out of the car after grabbing the fruit basket for Atlas. I exhaled sharply before trailing behind Kuya as we walked our way inside.

My emotional state immediately changed. I'm feeling mixed emotions. Even those happy memories that we've shared became memories that I just want to utterly forget.

"Sera! Baker!" Atlas welcomed us cheerfully. He looks oddly happy for someone who got into an accident.

"Hi, Atlas!" I greeted him, handing him the fruit basket that we had brought.