Chapter 39

"ARE YOU really sure that you're going back to LA?"

With a sigh, I nodded my head to Curtis, who was looking at me warily.

"Curtis, I already told you that I submitted na my leave to Sir Andres. He had already approved it too. Wala na akong magagawa." I let out another sigh before closing my travel bag after making sure that I had packed everything that I needed. "And besides, I needed this break too. I will also take this chance to take care of Mom, so she'll get better na rin." I added.

"All right," Curtis replied defeatedly.

I gave him a small smile, assuring him that I'd be just fine. Before I walked closer to him and gave my best friend a warm hug. He caressed my back and kissed the side of my head as he mumbled, "Please take care of yourself and call me anytime you're ready to talk."

"Of course," I replied, tightly hugging him because I'm sure going to miss him.

Two depressing weeks have passed since Tia left. And it has also been two weeks since I've been frantically waiting for Cash to at least talk to me, but he never showed up. Sa totoo lang hindi ko rin alam kung bakit ako naghihintay na kausapin niya ako. Hindi ko rin naman alam ang sasabihin ko sakaniya kung sakaling kausapin niya ako.

After Tia left the hospital, following Hank—who apparently kidnapped his own son—texted me after a couple of days, 'Pasensya na Sera kung ngayon lang ako nakapag-message sayo, pero gusto ko lang sabihin na maayos ako at si Evo. Bumalik kami ni Hank sa Isabela, at mayroon na rin kaming tirahan.' Tia also sent me a picture of Evo smiling sweetly to make sure that she was telling me the truth.

For a few days, I was still feeling a bit uneasy, but Tia's constant messages made me calm. However, it remained a mystery to me how Hank was able to leave Sir VM. I'm sure what he did was not easy, but I am glad to know that he finally had the guts to fight for his family after everything.

Sinabi rin sa'kin ni Tia na si Hank nalang ang babalik sa Manila para kuhanin iyong mga naiwang gamit nila sa'kin at para rin ibenta iyong bahay nila dito. Pero dahil paalis na ako bukas papuntang LA, hinabilin ko nalang kay Curtis iyong mga gamit nila.

Curtis doesn't know what happened. I... don't have the strength to tell him everything. I feel like I'm on the verge of breaking down whenever I try to open my mouth and say something to him. All I really want to do is get past all of this.

Parang iyong pagod na nararamdaman ko pang hanggang next year na.

I want to get back to the peace that I've lost. I want to find myself again. And I could only achieve that if I left the place where he constantly makes me remember him. I need a change of environment, even if it's for a few weeks or a couple of months.

Nagpaalam na rin si Curtis para umalis kaya naiwan ako ulit sa unit mag-isa. At bago pa ako makaramdam nang lungkot, I started rechecking my travel bags again, even though I'm already a hundred percent sure that I've packed everything along with my passport, wallet, check-in papers, and ID. After doing that, I was tempted to call Tia because I really miss him and Evo so badly, but I stopped myself before doing it because I just had a phone call with her this morning, and I don't want to bother them again – even though she said that I am always welcome to call her anytime.

Tomorrow at 9 AM is my flight. Maaga akong ihahatid ni Curtis sa airport para hindi ako abutan ng rush hour dahil baka raw ma-late ako. Nakapag-paalam na rin ako kila Kuya Baker at Aunt Via, and I endlessly told them not to mention this to my mother. Kuya Baker, of course, wasn't pleased with my actions, but he didn't stop me. He just said that I should embrace myself from mom's wrath when she sees me, and I couldn't disagree more.

I was watching The Office when someone knocked on my door. I excitedly went to get the door, expecting that it might be Curtis coming back.

"Oh, thank goodness you came—" I couldn't finish my sentence when I swung the door open and saw Cash standing in front of me. Para akong nanigas sa kinatatayuan ko. His deep, dark eyes landed on mine, making my legs feel weak suddenly.

We stared at each other for a few minutes before I cleared my throat and pulled my gaze away from him.

"W-what are you doing here?" My mouth feels suddenly dry from our staring battle, and I can't help but stutter. He didn't answer me though. He is just staring at me as if his goal is to melt me.

Cash is wearing a dark blue suit and tie, and I'm positive he just got off from work. His hair is unkempt, making him look sexier than ever, and those newly grown stubbles under his chin didn't escape my notice. He doesn't look too well, but he still managed to look this good.

"Cash?" I called because his stares were making me feel unconscious. Especially since I am only wearing cotton shorts and a tank top while my hair is in a messy bun. I look ragged compared to him.

Why is it so hard to talk to him now? It was easiest just months ago, but now... the deafening silence and awkwardness between us are unbearable. He is so close, yet unreachable.

Why did we become like this?

"Serenity, I..." he trailed off. And for a moment, I saw how his eyes were moist with tears. He swallowed hard, searching for my gaze.

"I'm sorry... I am really sorry, Serenity," he continues. "I'm sorry for being an utter jerk to you. I'm sorry for hurting you and for blaming you for the things you don't have any control over. I'm really sorry for everything." he added, as tears cascaded down his cheeks that he quickly wiped off, but his tears were unstoppable. His eyes turned bloodshot red.

I bit the inside of my cheeks, holding back my tears while my heart throbbed painfully.

Why just now? I wanted to yell at him, but I couldn't.

I got so blinded by my love for him that I utterly lost myself in return.

Mas inuna ko siya kaysa sa sarili ko and what did I get in return? A heartbroken in pieces.

"Cash hindi ko alam kung kaya ko bang magpanggap na okay lang kahit na hindi naman talaga." I honestly say. "I know it's not your fault that I let myself have feelings for you, but if you really want me to accept your apologies, then I am asking you to let me go. Let me forget you and move on." I say, brushing my tears away. I looked down because I couldn't look him in the eye.

"But I don't want you to forget about me," I got startled when he suddenly reaches out for my hand, squeezing it. I looked at him in disbelief.

"Ang selfish mo naman!"

"I... I want you, Serenity." he said, but his eyes were filled with doubt.

Want. I've heard that before and look where that leads us.

"That's what you said when we first met Cash, and I can still clearly remember that you couldn't commit even if you wanted me. Huwag na nating pahirapan iyong mga sarili natin. We're not meant for each other, and let's just accept that." hinila ko iyong kamay ko pabalik.

The pain in his eyes is so hard to disregard, especially when he is looking at me this way. Sigurado akong nasasaktan ko siya dahil sa mga sinasabi ko pero nasasaktan din naman ako. Masama bang unahin ko muna iyong sarili ko?

I took a step back. Putting a distance between us.

"I can't put my heart in jeopardy with someone who is indecisive about what he truly wants. I want to commit to someone who is one hundred percent sure that he loves me the same way that I love him."

I'm surprised at how steady my voice is even though my whole body is shaking. I clenched my fists together, trying to calm myself in every way possible. My eyes landed on his.

"Now, I'm going to ask you... Are you certain that you want to commit to me without any reservations?" My hands were shaking, and my heart was pounding so hard that I felt suffocated.

30 seconds had passed...

1 minute, 2 minutes, he didn't answer me.

He was the first to avert his gaze without saying a word.

"Goodbye, Cash..." I said before closing the door between us.

W H A T Y A S E Y