Chapter 29

I EXCUSED myself from Tia and went outside while holding my phone that kept on ringing

I EXCUSED myself from Tia and went outside while holding my phone that kept on ringing. I took a deep breath muna before pressing the answer button.

"Hello?" I said after answering his call.

"What are you up to today?" he urgently asked.

"Uhm... just visiting a friend. Why?" I asked, feeling a bit skeptical. Usually naman he won't ask what I'm up to because he will just come and see me at my office or sa unit ko.

"Can I see you today?" I swallowed hard at his question. I'm still avoiding him kasi but I know naman na I can't run away from him forever. So, I sighed before answering him.

I replied, "Okay," and then I heard a sigh of relief on the other line, as if he had been holding his breath while waiting for my answer.

"Can I pick you up at 5?" he asked again, the sound of his voice becoming more cheerful. I nodded unconsciously.

"Sure," I said casually. Akala ko he ended the call na after I answered him because it became quiet, but I checked my phone and he was still on the line.

"Cash? Hello?" I spoke, making sure he was still there.

"I'm still here..." he replied, and then he became quiet again.

"I'm going to hang—"

"I miss you," he said, cutting me off. My heart stubbornly skips a beat. I bit my lower lip, trying to control my emotions. I have the urge to just hang up the call, but my hand won't move a muscle.

Hindi ako nagsalita. I don't know what to say. I know that naninibago si Cash sa inaakto ko but what can I do? I'm just guarding myself against him.

I'm just protecting myself from getting hurt again, even though I'm aware that I've already fallen for him, really hard.

I just heard him exhale deeply before he said that he would see me later and ended the call.

I didn't like avoiding him, but... I don't want to risk getting hurt again.

#

I played with Evo after the phone call with Cash. Tia asked if I was okay, and I just gave her a pitiful smile, and she didn't ask further.

What I like about Tia is that even though she looks very curious about what's happening to me, she still opted not to ask any questions. She doesn't want to inquire. She really respects me when I don't want to talk about a certain topic, and that's why I'm returning the favour to her. Kahit na sometimes I want to ask more about Evo's dad, I'd rather keep my mum.

Nagpaalam na rin ako sakanila before 5. I was back at the Empire around 4 PM and I just took a quick bath and wore a simple blouse and skinny jeans. I'm not in the mood to dress up or anything.

Or maybe I just don't want Cash to notice that I'm putting effort into myself just because I'm meeting him. I don't want him to misinterpret anything. After all, we're nothing but friends with benefits.