The Cookout ~ (Naruto)

"So just be cool...my folks can be a little- extra.", I took a sigh as I sat in the driver's seat of my car as it rolled into my aunt's driveway.

"Y/n, everything will be okay! I'm the most lovable guy in Konoha remember?"

I gave a small laugh as I laughed at the irony of Naruto's statement. Lovingly, I took the blonde boy's soft cheek into my hand as I feel myself smile causing him to return the gesture,"Let's go, baby."

"Hey Bug!", my uncle AJ hollered, looking at me from the grill with a great big smile. I run to give him a big hug before he takes a step back, giving a confused glance to my plus one.

"Ya momma said you was bringing a plus one. Who this be?"

"This is Naruto, my boyfriend."

My uncle glances at the boys black shirt and orange pants before taking a long stare at his blonde hair. "You like barbecue, boy?"

"Yes sir.", Naruto answered, his charming smile covering his face but its warmth didn't seem to transfer to my uncle's spirit.

"Hmm...it ain't none of that Korean stuff nie-"

Irritated, I quickly grab my boyfriend's hand and proceed to look for my mother, knowing she'd show the blonde some love after our rude encounter with my ignorant uncle. However, my cousin Regina appears, the dark skinned girl's giant afro shining in the sun as she peers over her sunglasses. Her brow became slightly raised as I examine my cousin's familiar expression of irritation.

Regina was....BLACK. Not in a bad way. She was your average cocoa butter loving, natural hair wearing, Black Lives Matter supporting black girl - but sometimes she took it too far. Regina was convinced that she could only ever drink chocolate milk because by drinking white milk...she was aiding "the white man" in his plan against our people. My cousin also believed that all white people were the spawn of satan...leaving no leeway for those that actually were against the racist agenda of their ancestors. That being said, nothing else made sense to her other than concept of Black Love. Something we often spent our high school days fawning over together as we imagined our future love endeavors filled with cocoa butter kisses and chocolate hearts....but her facial expressions obviously indicated that she wasn't too happy about my straying away from the dreams of our childhood.

"Sis- where's Marcus ?"

"Gone. This is Naruto-"

"What happened with you and Marcus?"

I took a deep breath before meeting Naruto's eyes. He could sense that I was uncomfortable and gently rubbed my hand as I gave my cousin an annoyed glare,"We broke up. I'm with Naruto now."

"Since when you started liking Asians?"

"Why are you being so rude ?"

"Why'd you bring him around the fam?"

"HE'S MY BOYFRIEND!!"

"Bug!", my mother's soothing voice calls out to me as I notice her embracing Naruto with a smile. "You and Regina play fighting again-oh...", the (skin tone of your mother) woman glances at my bawled fist as she steps in between me and Regina.

"Gina what did you do to get y/n all mad?"

"This ain't got nun to do with you auntie...she knows what's up..", Regina gives me an icy glare before disappearing into a nearby crowd of relatives. Naruto,sensing my heightened emotions, wraps an arm around me before pressing a soft kiss to my forehead,"It's alright y/n....she didn't bother me."