068 | (𝙿𝚕𝚊𝚝𝚘𝚗𝚒𝚌)𝙼𝚎𝚒 𝚃𝚎𝚛𝚞𝚖𝚒~𝚂𝚎𝚌𝚘𝚗𝚍 𝙼𝚘𝚖

Requested by RaiNami

     Not me crying while writing this cuz I never had supporting parents T^T

     WARNING: (slight mention) of self-harm

     Small patches of yellow light pooled into the room along with a light gust of wind blowing the curtains gently. You were in your office working on various assignments from Ao and had been at it for hours. Your eyes dragged lower and lower with your vision getting foggier as you finally rest your head on the table, deciding to rest for a few minutes. Your body was faced away from your office table, adjacent to the large blue-ish desk as your head lay propped up on your arms while you slept lightly.

     "Hey (Y/n)-san, are you done yet?" called a slim-built blue-haired boy as he entered your office quietly as to not disturb your work only to find your tired, resting form. The boy seemed slightly older than you, maybe one of the Mizukage's bodyguards? "Lady Mizukage wants to talk to you, I suggest you should go a-and leave the paperwork with me." oh, yeah, the Chojuro kid. 

     "Alright. Thank you, Chojuro." you stood up and stretched from your seat, your poor behind was sore from sitting in the lonely office all day. "Where?"

     "The rooftop."

     Despite the nagging from Ao most of the time, both he and Mei were like parents to you and the other boy. Not having supportive parents did a great deal on your mental health, hence the scars on your arms and why your wore bandages on nearly every part of your body.

     You reached the rooftop after two flights of stairs and Mei timed it all perfectly, making sure that the final thirty minutes would be on the very rooftop she brought you exactly a year ago when she took you under her wing. She sat quietly watching the sunset, you shuddered as the wind kissed any part of your exposed skin, but did your best to ignore it, wanting to stay in this quiet moment forever. 

     Flashes of your relationship with the current Kage go by, memories of how reluctant you were when you first started and how long it took for you to grow confident in your abilities and yourself. You think back to meeting the great Mei of the Mist for the first time, how star-struck you were, and how embarrassed you felt when your mouth felt like it was stuffed with cotton and you couldn't speak.

     Memories of Mei pushing you, day by day, to run faster in their small races together and how you grew to laugh more than you've ever had. You remembered struggling to find time to make yourself lunch or even buy yourself food, and how wordlessly Mei (or Ao) paid for your lunches.
You've grown stronger, it's all thanks to the woman right before you.

     Lost in thought, you didn't notice her looking over at you.

     "You okay, dear?" her eyes were soft, not missing the way your eyes glimmered with
growing tears.

     "Yeah," your voice shaky and laughed. "I was just thinking."

     "Careful, you don't wanna hurt yourself. That poor head of yours is able to handle some amount." Mei laughed, heartwarming knowing that you've grown this comfortable with her now.
She reminisced about how long it took for you to trust her. The walls you had were thick and had been built years ago. Mei lets a soft smile grow when she remembered the pride she felt watching you take down enemy shinobis with ease, and the melancholy in her chest when he realized you wouldn't need her help anymore soon.

     The sky is bursting with yellows and pinks and purples, clouds cut across the sky, and even through the mist, both ladies were able to see stars peeking through the corners. You were quiet and so was she.

     "Thanks," you broke the silence,

     "Of course-"

     "For being the mom I never got to have." your voice cuts her off, and for the first time that night, Mei felt her eyes might burn with tears.

     "Are you not gonna say anything?" you laughed through your sniffs, haphazardly wiping away your tears. Mei cleared her throat, 

     "I was gonna offer you a permanent position at the office. Before you confessed that I'm your favorite Mizukage ever." she grinned at your playful groaning, enduring your punches if it means seeing you smile like that.

     "You could've said that this morning..." you laughed again, hiding your face in your hands, feeling your tears streaming down your cheeks.

     "And miss that I'm the best mom ever? Never." the Mizukage pulled you close with a protective arm over your shoulder. You leaned into her warmth, unable to hide your smile now, and took a deep breath.

803 words

(╯▽╰)

Also cover change there, been wanting to do that in a while...