Chapter 1

Chapter 1-  "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

CHERI'S POV

There was silence, then the familiar sound of the thudding footsteps begun to ring in my ears. I was no stranger to the sick sensation of fear which was stirring in my stomach. I could feel my heart was pounding in my small chest like the thrumming wings of a caged bird. I tried to quicken my pace but to my alarm I could hear the footsteps growing louder.

"Cheri!" the voice rasped out, echoing around the now deserted street. I recognised the deep voice but this did not sooth my terrors as I realised it was Harry.

I could feel the raw fear gnawing away at me as I kept on walking, even though I knew it was hopeless. Harry gave one last angry puff of his cigarette before dropping it to the ground and aggressively crushing it with his foot. He stalked to words with power in each footstep and roughly grabbed my arms and twisted me round.

"What are you playing at?" his hissed, his green eyes glowing in bristling fury.

I tried to stare him in the face unflinchingly, to betray no trace of horror or fear, or any of the numerous emotions jolting down my spine threatening to overcome me. "N-nothing" I said, and my voice beytayed me as it wobbled from the nerves.

"Did you not hear me call you the first time?" Harry spat, his voice laced with contempt and annoyance.

"Harry please , I-I need to get home"

There's a sound like the cracking of a whip and I reel back from the harsh slap. I clutch my cheek in shock and look at Harry's empty eyes, which hold no empathy or remorse for me. I can feel my eyes welling with tears but I hold them back.

"Cheri, don't lie to me, why did you ignore me?"

"Because I was scared" I whisper looking down in shame, I hate feeling so vulnerable in front of him.

"Good" Harry gives me a cynical smile in amusement "I want you to be scared" and before I can question what he means, he forces me back against the cold street wall.

I struggle as I see him lean down towards me. "Because Cheri, you deserve every ounce of terror I give you," he whispers in my ear before he releases me. I look up but he's already fled.

My hands shake as I try to pull myself together. It's starting to get dark as the streetlights are coming on and I know that my mum will be worried if I'm not home soon. I also know Harry let me off fairly lightly this time and that worries me for my next encounter. I rush home almost bumping into my mum who stand waiting in the hallway with her arms crossed.

"Why are you back so unusually late from school?" she says looking unimpressed as I stand with my hands on my knees trying to catch my breath from running.

My mind goes blank, I couldn't tell her the truth "I was at... a chess meeting?" I try to say convincingly.

My mum raised her eyebrows. It sounded more like a question then a valid statement. I wasn't involved with many people or clubs at school, as people feared that Harry would draw his attention to them if they showed interest in me.

You don't even know how to play chess?" my mum says sceptically.

"Uh... It's a club for beginners"

My mum shakes her head in disappointment, I'm not sure if she believed me or not. I felt bad lying to her but the truth would be much worse.

"Why didn't tell me you were going, I though something had happened to you" she says her eyes welling up with tears of angst.

"I'm sorry mum, I forgot," I say looking down as the guilt began to eat at me. I felt weak letting Harry control me like this but I couldn't tell anyone without him finding out.

My mum sighs and gives me a look "Promise to remember to tell me next time"

"I promise" I say easily as I don't even attend a chess club.

She nods and I know I've gotten out of it for now. I began to climb the stairs to my bedroom but my mum calls me back. I sigh thinking she going to question me more about being late but she surprises me.

"Cheri, can you put this vase of roses upstairs on the bathroom window please"

"Why?" I ask puzzled.

She sighed "The styles are coming over for dinner later, I need the place to look a bit brighter"

I froze. My breathing became sharper. Harry's family were coming over? "I never knew that you were friends with Harry's mum?" I ask shocked. My mum had never mentioned being friends with her. I'd never even seen Harrys mum before.

"We used to work at the same office, she phoned earlier asking if we could catch up. She has a son called Harry, do you know him? He's around your age"

Heck, of course I knew Harry.

"Uh, I don't really get on with Harry" I muttered.

I don't want Harry coming to my house, I already see him enough at school. I scrunch up my eyebrows in frustration. Of all the people my mum has to be friends with, why does it have to be Harrys mum? Fate must have something angainst me right now.

My mum laughs, "don't look so worried, Harry seems like a nice lad"

She winked then walked off to the kitchen. She's under the impression that Harrys a good little boy. That's probably what Harry's mums told her. Great. I walked into our bathroom, stripped off and got into the shower. I shampooed my brown hair, which almost reached halfway, down my back now. Looking down at my stomach, I could see purple bruised splotches already appearing. I sighed, what did I do to make Harry hate me so much?