99. Nikki and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Nikki's POV

7:37 AM

"Wylie, just sit still! You're gonna make me fuck it up! Jesus Christ." I snap, the wiggling toddler shooting me a death glare.

"You already did, dad!" She whines, her bottom lip popping out into a pout as she looks at herself in the mirror. "It's s'pose to be on top, not the side!"

Well, excuse the fuck out of me.

Since when did I get stuck with hair duty anyway?

"Well, you're not helping by squirming, Wylie!" I huff and she shakes her head, jumping off of the counter.

"You don't know how! I need momma!" She stomps out of the bathroom, trailing down the hall to the bedroom, and I throw the brush onto the counter to follow her. "Momma!" She beats on the bedroom door, a pissed off look flooding her face when Ryan doesn't immediately answer.

"Shh, Wylie! She's on the phone with Sharise!" I put my finger over my mouth and she throws her head back in frustration, the door to the bedroom opening slowly.

"I'm sorry. She's being a turd." I roll my eyes through a scoff. "She thinks I did her hair wrong." I wave my hands to the beautiful side pony and Ryan tilts her head to the side.

"You did do my hair wrong, daddy!" Wylie stomps her foot as she gives me the evil eye and I throw my hands up in surrender.

"You did kinda fuck it up, Nik." Ryan chuckles, Wylie waving her hands at her as if to say 'I told you so.' "Come on, I'll fix it." She grabs Wylie's hand and drags her into the bathroom, leaving me highly offended in the hallway.

Fine then, I won't help out with morning hair duty anymore. I do my best to help out my wife and I just end up getting scolded by a three year old.

Which, surprisingly stings more than I thought it would.

I trudge down the stairs in search of coffee, my mood for the day already becoming 'annoyed.'

I run through the list of things I want to get done in the studio today, knowing that I probably won't accomplish even half of it.

I was hoping that we could actually get shit done today, but that's highly unlikely since Tommy is taking the day off to be with Pam before she flies out for her shoot.

If I could just get Ryan to come in for an hour, I could at least get Loveshine wrapped up. I want her to be apart of it like she was with Without You, but she's been so distant I've been afraid to ask.

"Look." Wylie walks into the kitchen, pointing to the neat ponytail coming straight out of the top of her head. "This is what it's s'pose to look like, daddy."

"Okay, smarty pants. Go get your back pack." I shoo her away and she runs to the kitchen table, gathering up all her school supplies and throwing them into her backpack.

I think putting her in school was the best thing we ever did. She knows all of her letter sounds now, and even some letter combinations like 'ay' and 'ee.' She made it into the advanced reading program with no problem, and I bet my whole bank account that she'll be fully reading by the time she's in kindergarten.

I'm not surprised, though. With the brains Ryan has, it was only logical that Wylie would be ahead of the game.

"Do I need to check your folder?" I nod my head toward the red folder in her hands and she shakes her head, an awkward smile flooding her face.

I go to question her until Ryan walks down the stairs, deciding to just let it go for now. My arms wrap around Ryan's waist, my chin landing on top of her head.