63. Psycho

Nikki's POV

"You feeling better yet, chica?" Tommy plops onto the floor next to me, grabbing a toy and handing it to Wylie in hopes of cheering her up.

"No! Momma!" She whines, slapping the toy away from her.

"Great. Now she knows 'no', and with her attitude she'll say it to everything." I roll my eyes, frustrated that it's been an hour and Wylie still hasn't stopped being upset about Ryan leaving. She's been acting out a lot ever since Ryan got the job at the Whisky.

"Why is she so mean?" Tommy chuckles as Wylie huffs and rolls out of my lap, crawling across the floor to Riley.

"Have you met her mother?"

"Have you met you?" Riley snorts out a scoff.

"Fair enough." I shrug my shoulders, I can be a dick if I need to be. Maybe she did get it from me.

"Did you talk to Ryan this morning?" Tommy raises his eyebrows me and I silently curse him for bringing it up in front of Riley.

"No, I'm gonna talk to her when she gets home."

"Talk to her about what? Ow! No, Wylie!" Riley slaps Wylie's hands away as she tugs on her hair as hard as her little hands can pull.

"I called this morning and got a meeting with the lawyer to figure out what we can do to put an end to all this shit. He said after everything that's happened, and since Ryan has proven to not want any contact with the psycho bitch, that we can get a permanent restraining order that'll be more strict on her trying to contact Ryan. He said we can get one on Sylvia, too." I sigh in frustration, I should've talked to Ryan before she left.

"You think that would work?"

"Momma." Wylie pouts as she climbs onto Riley's lap, reaching down to play with her toes.

"I think it's a start. Ryan's complained to him about the letters multiple times and we have like fifty of them sitting in the closet upstairs. I'm sure there's all sorts of evidence in them that proves the bitch is dangerous, and from the letters I've seen she always complains about how Ryan never replies so that'll help, too. God only knows how many other people will come out of the woodworks, but for now it gets the main one out of our lives."

"Gotta start somewhere, and that sounds like a good start." I give her a weak smile, praying that she's right. "You think that would make you feel better? You sounded pretty defeated about it all last night."

"Yeah..."A pang of guilt runs through me, remembering everything I said last night. "I was just exhausted. My job is to keep her safe and I feel like I never can. I don't know, it just fucks with me. But she's my wife, and I'll do whatever I can to keep her here with me."

No matter how frustrated or angry I get about all of this, Ryan is the best thing that's ever happened to me and I don't know what I'd do if I lost her. I should've never said the things I said last night, and I should've known that all the negative feelings I was having were just a reaction to how scared I was to lose her.

I should've kissed her this morning. I should've given her a hug and told her that everything would be alright. I should've made it clear to her that we can get through anything as long as we can get through it together. The sadness in her voice when she expressed that this was her mess to clean nearly tore my heart in two, and I should've told her that her mess is my mess.

"Maybe you're not such a dick after all." Riley shoots me a wink as Tommy exhales a chuckle.

"Whatever. I'm hoping we can go see the lawyer later this afternoon, depending on how long Ryan takes at the police station. He said he was free at four, would you mind watching the demon child if she gets back in time?"