62. Fix

I split this one in two, 'cause we know I like a cliffhanger. 😛

Nikki's POV

"I'm fine. Stop being a tit." Ryan smacks my arm when I wince as the doctor starts to sew her stomach. I never liked getting stitches.

"You need to stop the blood thinners. Your arm looks good, and you're gonna have a hell of a time healing this if you keep taking them." The doctor looks at Ryan through the tops of her eyes, waiting for clarification that Ryan understands.

"Yes ma'am, I won't take them anymore. I hadn't taken my dose today either." She lays on the hospital bed as normal as can be, like she doesn't even have a needle going in and out of her skin right now.

Ryan's face is indiscernible, as soon as we got to the hospital she switched from upset to what I can only identify as numb. I wish she would tell me how she's feeling, but she's barely said a dozen words to me.

I know I'm pissed off. How long will we have to deal with the repercussions of her first marriage? Are we always gonna have to look over shoulders? Am I always gonna have to worry about my wife being taken from me in a violent manner? I know I shouldn't be, because she duly warned me before we got too involved, but I'm a little angry at Ryan for bringing so much shit into our lives.

"Okay, you're all good. Keep it dry, keep it covered, and I'll give you some antibacterial ointment to put on it once a day and an antibiotic pill to take twice a day with food. You need to be very careful, and don't lift anything over five pounds or they can come undone. Come back in two weeks and we'll get these out. Do you need something for the pain?" My eyes flick to Ryan, pleading her to say no.

"No, I'm good. Thank you." I let out a sigh of relief when Ryan comes to the conclusion herself since she never looked at me to see my pleading expression.

"Tough one, huh?" The doctor chuckles.

"Addict, actually." Ryan quirks an eyebrow and the doctor nods in understanding.

"Well, I'll see you in a couple weeks then." The doctor stands and grabs her clipboard before she shuffles out of the room. Ryan pulls her shirt down and swings her legs over the side of the bed to stand up, wincing in pain.

"Are you okay?" I extend my hand to her to help her off the bed but she refuses.

"I'm fine." Her voice is full of annoyance and I snap my hand back, her attitude catching me off guard. "I'm sorry. I just want to go home." She notices the hurt expression on my face and she shoots me an apologetic look.

"Okay, let's go home."

The car ride home is eerily silent, Ryan looking out her window the majority of the time. Thankfully at five in the morning there's not much traffic and we make it home before the city starts to wake up. The living room light is on, signaling either Riley or Tommy are awake and Ryan groans.

"I don't want to talk to anyone right now." Her voice is stern as she gives me a hard stare and I nod in response.

"I'll talk to them. Just go up to the bedroom."

As soon as we enter the house, we notice both of them are passed out on the couch, giving Ryan an easy exit out of conversation. Tommy's loud snores reverberate through the the whole lower level of the house and I wonder how Riley sleeps through that shit.

"Hey." I gently smack Tommy in the face multiple times until his eyes start to flutter open. "We're home. You can go to bed now."

"Where is she?" He sits up slowly in an effort to not roll Riley off of the couch, looking around the room for Ryan. "Is she okay?"