91. Abrupt

Ryan's POV

My head starts to pound as soon as I open my eyes for the day, my body completely drenched in sweat. I sit up in bed and rub my eyes through a yawn, quickly realizing it has to be over eighty-five degrees in this room. Nikki sleeps soundly next to me, his mouth wide open as he snorts out a loud snore.

And he talks about me snoring too loud.

I sigh as I run my fingertips over his back lightly, the small stubs coming back wet from his own sweat.

"Baby, wait! Can we sit down and talk about this please? We're supposed to be working on our communication skills, remember?" Nikki storms into the house behind me and I let out a frustrated groan.

I should've never suggested therapy. All it's done is been a complete pain in my fucking ass.

"Fine." I throw my hands in the air before plopping down on the couch. "Let's communicate." I mock the word as I roll my eyes and he huffs before sitting down next to me.

"You know, for being the one that suggested working on our communication, you sure are the one that runs away from it the most. You can't just ditch me, you have to tell me how you feel." I scoff at his words and he lowers his eyes at me with a stern look.

"Fine. I feel like you were a super douche with Danny. There was no reason to walk up guns ablaze. We were just talking."

I'm not really mad about the punch. I'm more upset that he's still treating me as if he owns me, which was a major problem the first time around.

"He's a creep. I saw the way he was looking at you, and you didn't really help the situation much by letting him think we weren't together." He quirks an eyebrow as he looks into my eyes, his voice clearly upset.

He has a point. I could've been a little more forthcoming about not being available, and I could tell that Danny was flirting with me, too.

But maybe I just liked being seen as a normal, sane person and not a broken toy that needs fixing.

"You're right, and I'm sorry about that. He asked me if I was your wife and I just said no and left it at that. I should've backed it up with we were trying again. I just feel awkward when people ask me shit like that, it's a lot to try and explain." His shoulders relax when my tone of voice changes from hostile to apologetic.

"That's why I just call you my wife regardless. It's easier, and you'll be my wife again eventually, right?"

"Probably."

"Probably?" His eyebrow quirks in disbelief as he lets out a sharp breath, his eyes wide. "What do you mean probably? Is marriage not the goal anymore?"

"I mean, yeah, I guess it is." I sit back onto the couch with a shrug of my shoulders as I stare at the ceiling. "But I think we have a long way to get there if you're still acting like I'm one of your possessions and not a living human being with feelings."

"That's fair." His upper lip stretches over his top teeth as he scratches the skin under his nose with his fingernail. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have come in so hot, but I'm not apologizing for punching him."

"Honestly, I probably would've punched him, too, if he said that shit to me. You were right, he is a fuckin' tool." I shake my head as I grab the pillow next to me and pull it to my chest.

"Can we just write this one off? We both weren't that great." He dips down, laying his head on my pillow.

"Do you think I have an anger problem? Is that why you said what you said before I came back inside?"