54. Impending Doom

Sorry I suck and haven't updated in a few days. 😭 Decided to make this into two chapters, because I like cliffhangers. 😛

Warnings: Mentions of Previous Drug Use, Abuse

Ryan's POV

"Is that...your mother?" I'm almost too scared to ask, nausea threatening to creep up my throat.

"Just go, I'll handle it." He pushes me to the side to move me out of the doorway, and worry cuts through me like a knife. Something inside of him switched as soon as he heard her name.

"You don't want me to stay? Are you sure you want to be alone with her?" I'm not too comfortable with the idea of leaving him alone with her, but I'm not sure that it's any of my business.

"I said just go." His tone is short and full of anger, spitting his words through gritted teeth. "Go take care of Riley. Get everyone out."

"But the party isn't-"

"Get everyone out, Ryan." I flinch at the volume of his voice, nodding in agreement because I don't want to start a fight on top of everything else that was just put on our plate.

"Go to my bathroom, I'll be there in a minute." Riley nods and wipes her tears away with the back of her hand as I whisper in her ear.

This is not good.
This is really, really, really bad.

Why did she have to show up today of all days? Today is supposed to be a happy day for us, and now memories of my daughter's first birthday will always be tainted with hostility. How does she even know where we live? From what I understood, Nikki hasn't talked to his mother since before we met. I've heard him talk to his sister, Ceci, on the phone, but never his mother. He hasn't even talked about her since those nights on the beach in rehab. He would've told me if he knew she was coming, but by the look on his face and the mean tone to his voice, he definitely wasn't expecting her. Maybe his sister told her where we are? Surely she wouldn't if she knew anything about their relationship, but I guess I don't know her well enough to know if she's one of those that just wants to watch the world burn. She is his sister after all.

"Thank y'all so much for coming and for all of the gifts, but we- uh- have some unexpected company and the party's gonna have to end now." I feel like a total bitch for kicking everyone out when they made the trek in the pouring rain just to celebrate Wylie with us.

"She's not done opening presents!" Tommy frowns as he lets out a huff and points at Wylie trying to open one of his gifts.

"I know. I'm sorry, guys. I'm not trying to be a dick, but his mom just showed up." I probably shouldn't be telling Nikki's business, but they're all gonna have to go in the driveway to get in their cars and see her anyway.

"Later!" Tommy bolts out of his seat, his tone making a full 180.

"Yeah, we're gonna go out the back way." Mick fumbles to stand up, gripping Emi's shoulder for support.

I put my hand on Sharise's shoulder when she starts to stand up, lightly shoving her back down. I give her a deep look, trying to communicate for her to stay with my eyes.

"Go ahead, babe. I'll see you at home later." She understands my look and tells Vince goodbye, but he doesn't seem impressed as he rolls his eyes and follows Mick and Emi out the back door.

"Go to my bathroom. Take Wylie with you, please."

"What's going on? What's in the bathroom?" Her face is twisted in concern as she gets out of her seat and fumbles to cradle a crying Wylie against her chest. She's not happy to be pulled away from her gifts.