51. MTV Music Awards

Warnings: Drug Use, Violence

Ryan's POV

I should've known.

I should've known Nikki's "all is forgiven" attitude over the past month was a lie. Who just forgives and forgets their spouse being unfaithful? I sure as hell didn't, and I shouldn't have expected him to either.

I should've known Slash wouldn't keep his mouth shut. I should've picked up on him being the type of person to burn it all down as soon as he didn't get his way. I know the signs well enough to pick those types of people out within five minutes of meeting them, considering I am one and so is my husband.

I should've known everything wouldn't be okay. When has anything ever been okay in my entire life? I should've known it would all blow up in my face, and on some level, I did. Deep down, I knew everything would crumble right under my feet. I just didn't expect it to be this violent.

And the only person I have to blame is myself.

My hands shake as I feel my lip and nose already starting to swell, blood covering my fingertips when I reach for a paper towel.

I should've fucking known.

Eight Hours Earlier

"Oh my God, I missed you so much." I wrap my arms around Nikki's neck, taking in a deep breath of his scent that I missed so much.

"I missed you, Ry." His voice is strained and tired as I cup his cheeks and push my lips onto his. "Come on. Let's go home, we only have a couple hours to ourselves before we have to start getting ready for the award show."

I nod, following him to the car. An odd pit in my stomach forms when he gets into the driver seat and doesn't greet Wylie, not even a quick hello. I shove it to the back of my mind and try to write it off as exhaustion, I know how much tour can take out of you. The car ride home is eerily silent and anger starts to build when I practically have to pry to get a word out of him.

"How have you been?"

"Fine."

"How are the guys? Are you getting along?"

"They're fine."

"How have the crowds been? Good shows?"

"It's been fine."

"Is 'fine' the only word in your vocabulary right now?"

"I'm just tired, Ryan. I'm really tired."

I huff in annoyance, I haven't seen him in a month and he's not even interested in talking to me. Our two hour late night phone calls have gotten fewer and further between, turning into thirty second 'I miss you's and 'I love you's this past week. I'm not sure if something's happened or he's just over life on the road, but if it was the latter he should at least be happy to see his daughter.

As soon as we pull into the driveway he slams his door shut without giving us a second glance. Anger continues to build in my gut, wondering just what the fuck is wrong with him. We only have one night together, I would prefer to not spend it barely speaking for a reason unknown to me.

"Are you gonna say hi to your daughter?" My tone comes out as nasty as I mean it to when we walk into the house, and he turns around with guilt written all over his face.

"I'm sorry, baby." He takes a deep breath through his nose as he gets Wylie out of her car seat and puts her on his chest.

I can see her smile from here, she always lights up in the presence of her father. Normally he lights up in the presence of her, too, but not today.