Heartbreak

Sirius
I wait until Regulus wakes up again before I call out for anyone to come back into the cave. I need to know why he doesn't want me to tell them he's alive. Especially Everleigh.. that seems cruel.

When he wakes up, I immediately ask him before he passes out again.

"Why don't you want me to tell them that you made it?"

"I'm sure he knows by now that we have the horcrux. If he knows Kreacher survived, he knows I have it. It's dangerous for me to come back right now." Regulus explains.

"Then what are you going to do?"

"I'm going to go back to my dorm, grab the horcrux from Kreacher, give him new instructions and then go into hiding." Regulus explains.

"You can't do that to Everleigh... didn't you hear her screaming?"

"I did... but it's the only way to keep her safe. To keep you all safe."

"I can't lie to them-"

"You have to Sirius. And you should probably learn occlumency so you can keep the secret." Regulus says. "No one can know!"

"This is the only way you'll be safe?" I ask.

"Yes, it's the only way." Regulus replies. "I know it's a lot to ask but I need you to do this for me."

"I will."

It's the last thing I want to do... go out there and tell Everleigh he didn't make it. If I thought the screams when he was missing were bad...

But if it will keep everyone safe... I'll do it.

"It's not forever, right?" I ask my brother.

"No, just until I can destroy the horcrux." Regulus says.

"Okay."

"One more thing..." he says. "Thanks for coming to save me."

I smile.

"You're my brother... I would never leave you behind if I knew you were in danger."

"Even after you found out about what I had done?"

"I read the letter." I say. "You were just protecting Everleigh. Like you're doing now."

"I'm glad you understood."

"I'll always be here for you Reg, we're family."

"I'm glad to hear that... more than you know." Reg says. "Now go before they come in here and see me!"

"Okay, write to me when you're safe? Use a code name. Mine is Padfoot."

"Mine will be... uh I'll just use Kreacher."

I laugh. "Very creative."

"I'm on the spot, you had time to think of your name." Regulus says defensively.

"How about you just use your middle name?" I suggest.

"Arcturus?"

"Yes."

"Won't that be too obvious?"

"Does anyone know your middle name?"

"I guess not."

"Then it'll work." I say.

"Fine." Regulus says. "Now hurry up and go!"

I give Regulus a hug before standing up and taking off out of the cave to deliver fake bad news to my best friends.