Forgiveness

Regulus
"I need to talk to you Sirius."

"Right now?" Sirius asks.

"Sure." I reply. I look to Evie who's looking at me, probably trying to figure out what i'm doing.

"We'll leave so you guys can talk up here." Everleigh says, sending me a smile on her way out.

Once they all left, Sirius and I stand here for a minute without saying anything. I feel him watching me but I can't get a word out yet.

"What's going on Reg?" Sirius asks me.

"Evie told me that you want to help and that we should talk.. and if i'm being honest I didn't believe her at first." I say.

"She wasn't lying." He says. "I want to help you Reg.. I never should have left you alone there."

"Why did you?" I ask him.

"I needed to get out, Reg. I needed to get out of there before things got so bad that I never could."

"But you left me there."

"I know, and I'm sorry." Sirius says. "I regret leaving you but I didn't know what to do."

"It was what you had to do." I shrug. "I get it I guess."

"Forgive me?" Sirius asks. "Can we start over."

"Is it that easy?" I ask.

"No, probably not but I want to restart and be there for you."

"I- I'm fine." I say. "I don't need any help... but I do want to start over and be brothers again..."

"Reg, you do not have to hide anything. I've been where you are."

"Trust me, you haven't."

"But I can help you if you let me in." Sirius continues.

"No, no you can't."

I can't tell him what's going on because it would freak him out and we would never be brothers again. I can't blow this up because I do really miss him and want to be brothers again... but no one can find out what's going on.

"Fine but don't let her control you Reg. She's not looking out for you, she's looking out for herself."

I nod.

"So." He begins. "What's going on with you and Everleigh?"

Everleigh? He thinks something is going on with me and Everleigh? Is that why he's been getting so mad about me hanging out with her? Does he like her?

"Nothings going on with Evie and I." I tell him.

He pauses and looks away from me for a moment.

"Reg, you like her." Sirius whispers without looking back at me.

"No, Sirius.. we're just friends." I say.

If he likes her, I'm not going to get in the way of that. Evie is amazing and I'm sure they would be amazing together. Evie and I are just friends anyway. She only thinks of me as a friend and I don't think I could ever allow myself to pull her in further knowing what's coming next for me. Being friends is dangerous enough for her, not that she knows that.

"I know you, Reg. You like Everleigh, I can tell. You don't have to lie to me."

"Do you like her?" I ask. Why else would he be asking if I like her unless he does.

"No, I only started talking to her last year and we haven't really gotten close because I keep getting mad at her." Sirius jokes.

"Trust me, I know." I say and laugh at him. "You guys are always fighting over me."