Partners

Everleigh
Going in to class today is nerve wracking, heading down to the potions classroom is freaking me out.

What if he changed his mind and he doesn't want to be friends anymore?

Am I asking too much of him..? To not hide it even though it could possibly cause problems for him..

My thoughts were interrupted when I reached the door of the potions class and see Regulus standing outside the door with Bella, arguing.

I don't want to push him to tell her and shove it in her face so I'm just going to walk by him.

"Wait, Everleigh." Regulus calls out to me before I get inside. I turn around to see him smiling at me and Bellatrix glaring at me.

"What's up?"

"Wait a second and we can go inside together?" He asks.

"Sure."

"Regulus, I can't believe you're actually going through with this!" Bellatrix shouts.

"Save it, not everyone is like you Bella. Not everyone shares the same opinions as you. Actually, a lot less people do then you think." Regulus shouts.

"What does that mean?" Bella asks, turning her attention to me and then back to Regulus.

"You'll figure that out some day." He says before turning to me and throwing an arm around my shoulders.

"You didn't have to- I was just going to go inside so you could avoid that conversation." I whisper as we walk through the doors.

"Don't worry about it." Regulus whispers.

"She's going to kill me." I mumble and he laughs.

"She won't."

"How are you so sure?" I ask.

"Because she's more mad at me than you." He says, we sit down at our seats. "I'm her family."

"So she's going to kill you."

"More likely."

I laugh.

"Well, I'm sorry then."

"Sorry? Why?" He asks.

"Because it's my fault she's going to kill you."

"No, don't even worry about being sorry." Regulus says. "I don't care about what Bella thinks."

"You will have the day to finish the potion we took up in last class. Turn to page 35 and work with your partner." Slughorn instructs.

"So you read and I'll put the stuff in the cauldron." Regulus asks.

"Sounds good to me."

"Cool." he says. I was about to stand up to go grab the things we need for the potion, he gets up before me and walks over to the table.

That's new.

"So what's the first thing to dump in?" Regulus asks as he sits back down.

"Dump in?"

"Yeah, dump in." He jokes. I notice him hold back a laugh. 

"Okay listen, I don't want to fail so you better not dump in anything."

"I'm joking, just relax a little." He gently teases.

"Right." I mumble. Of course he's joking. He better be joking.

-

Regulus
I'm glad I told Bella about Everleigh, even though she's mad and she'll probably tell my mother. Seeing Everleigh and actually being able to walk into class with her and talk to her, it's worth it. I hope she's okay though. I know my brother isn't making things easy for her because he's mad at me. Apparently i'm too evil to even be friends with. Funny how he gets disowned and suddenly he knows everyone else's thoughts. He just knows i'm not a good person, i'm evil. We were so close before he ran away to James. Ever since then, he's looked at me as the enemy... we're brothers...

I hope he's not doing the same thing to Everleigh just because she and I are friends...

"So how are things for you?" I ask, breaking the silence from concentrating on the potion. 

"What do you mean?" She asks.

"With your friends.. how are things with your friends?" 

"Oh, right." she pauses. "Um, I guess James and Sirius are good now but Sirius is still not speaking to me." 

"I'm sorry." I mumble.

"Why are you sorry?"

"It's kind of my fault he's mad at you.." 

"No it's not." She says. "It's not your fault he can't get over himself."

I was going to reply to her but Slughorn cut me off. If i'm being honest, I'm relieved he cut me off because I have no idea how to reply. 

"I'll be coming around to check your potions in a moment. Make sure your stations are cleaned." 

"I think we're going to get perfect on this one." I say confidently.

"Oh yeah? And how do you know that?" She asks.

"We're good partners, we work well together. We have a system." 

"You're really confident about this one." She says. "I guess we'll find out in a moment." 

I pick up all of the ingredients and things we don't need that's laying around our station and walk them back over to the table I got them. I would just use a spell but Slughorn won't let us. What's the point of having magic if we don't get to use it? By the time I get back, he's waiting for me already at our table. 

"Well I must say, I am impressed with how well the two of you work together." Slughorn admits. "All of your potions have been very well done this year." He makes a note on his paper and walks off to the next group.

"See Hufflepuff, we make a great team." I say before heading out of the class to go to lunch. 

Before I'm out of the room, I hear her ask "Hufflepuff?" and I can't help but smile.