Saturday Night

Everleigh
The five of us sit down at the dinner table to eat the food. My father is seated at the head of the table and his girlfriend is sitting beside him. Her son is beside her and Regulus and I are seated across from them.

"So how is school going for you guys? What school do you guys go to again?" Paige asks as she puts some food on her plate.

"It's going okay I guess." I reply. "And we go to Hogwarts."

"That's the school you went to, right Newt?" She asks my dad and he nods his head.

"Everleigh is in the same house I was in too." He proudly says.

"What about you, Regulus?" Paige asks.

"Slytherin." Regulus says. "Most of my family are in that house."

"Isn't that the evil house?" Logan speaks up for the first time.

"Logan! That's enough." His mother says.

My father looks at the kid and then at Regulus and myself before he said anything.

"One house can not be evil as a whole. That is reserved for you to make that decision about yourself. You can chose to give into the darkness or you can chose to rise above it."

"Did you know someone from Slytherin?" Paige asks my dad and he smiles.

"I did yeah, she was a good friend." My dad says.

"I guess it runs in the family." Logan says.

I notice Regulus beside me tense up and shift awkwardly so to make him feel a little less- tense, I reach over and grab his hand under the table. Regulus turns to me and his eyes flicker with something I haven't seen in his eyes before.

"Reg and his brother are actually two of my closest friends." I say. My father smiles at me. I'm sure it's weird for him to have Regulus here because of the history of the Black family and the wizarding world but I'd like him to see that he's not like his family.

"How long have you all been friends?" Paige asks me, smiling awkwardly. It hit me then, that she and her son have most likely heard of his family and they probably don't like them.

"I've known them both for a while but we became friends the year-" I pause. She must have understood where I was going because she nods.

"Evie was very presistant in keeping both Sirius and I as friends." Regulus adds. "My brother and I don't always get along and we refused to be in the same room as each other but Evie made it clear that she wants to be friends with both of us."

"So you three worked everything out?" Paige asked.

"We're still working out everything." Regulus replies. "But it's better than it was."

"Things keep changing though." I add. Regulus turns to me and smirks.

"For the better though?" He asks.

"I think so."

The two of us stare at each other, smiling, because I think he was just asking if us kissing was a good or a bad thing and I think I just told him that us kissing is a good thing. Don't get me wrong, it definetly was good but what does this mean for us?

My father clears his throat and my focus returns to the table where two strangers and my dad are also seated. For a second there I forgot that the room didn't just consist of Regulus and myself.

"So, in the letter you mentioned that you're starting care of magical creatures?" My father asks.

"No, my friends are starting it." I reply. "They think it's a boring class."