DAY 040

"Hey, Shrynae, good morning!" Laune said when he saw me enter the school gate. But when he noticed dad he immediately greets him. "Good morning po, Tito." I smiled at him.

Dad wore a visitor's ID because he set up a meeting with my class adviser. I accompany dad to the office to talk with my class adviser and the school principal.

"I am asking forgiveness for Shrynae having a lot of absents without sending an excuse letter. If you will allow me, I will tell you myself right here and right now why Shrynae is always absent." The principal gestured to dad to continue speaking. "Shrynae have leukemia. She doesn't have a lot of time left, but she wants her remaining time to be wasted in the hospital so she chose to go to school to see her friends and make friends. She's absent because she suddenly feels weak. I'm asking you to please take care of my daughter while she's here in school." I can see the sadness and pity in my class adviser's eyes and the principal's eyes.

And I don't like it. I hate it when someone will pity me.

"I understand Mr. Vizcaino. Don't worry, I will take care of your daughter." I smiled at them.

"Thank you, prof, and please don't tell anyone about this. I just want to live a normal life, to be treated like I'm not dying." My class adviser smiled and nodded.

"You're secret is safe with us, Shrynae," My class adviser said.

"We understand you, Mr. Vizcaino, we will take care of your daughter," The principal said.

"Please don't give me special treatment. Treat me like how you treat the other students," I said.

"Sure," the principal and my class adviser said in unison.

"Here is the excuse letter of Shrynae." Dad handed them an envelope. "Thank you, I'll leave now," Dad said and we bid goodbye to my class adviser and to the principal.

When I enter the classroom, Laune confronted me and asked, "bakit pumunta dito ang dad mo? Pinatawag ka ba? At bakit absent ka kahapon? May nangyari ba na masama sayo? Ayos ka lang ba?" I put my bag on my chair and faced Laune.

"Why are you so curious? My dad just came here to talk to our class adviser about something. And I can't tell you the reason why I am absent yesterday." I took a seat on my chair after I said that.

"Nagkasakit ka? Ayos ka lang ba?" He touches my forehead but I immediately remove his hand. "Bakit parang namumutla ka?" I looked away. I can't just keep lying to them.

"My skin is just white, I'm not pale," I lied. Even though it's Laune, I can't tell him the truth. Because I am scared that he may avoid me if he will know that I'm dying.

***

Dear Diary,
My dad took me to school today. He also talks to my class adviser and principal about my situation and told her about my leukemia. And I asked my teacher not to tell my classmates about it because I don't want them to pity me.