“Consort Ning’s skill in painting is unmatched in the harem. Noble Lady Ning…” Feng Jin furrowed his brows a hint. “Although Noble Lady Ning’s surname is Ning, her surname is an offense against Consort Ning’s title. Spread Our command: although Miss Ning Shengyu has a surname of Ning, because Consort Ning already has this word as her title, Miss Ning will be bestowed the title of ‘Qian.’”  

Qian? Wasn’t this title a bit too shallow? Smiling, Zhuang Laoyan said, “Your Majesty, now that you said this, this concubine also feels that it was awkward to refer to both of them before. This way, it will be easier to differentiate the two.”  

Not long after, the emperor’s verbal decree spread to the imperial harem. For a moment, the imperial concubines were unsure whether the emperor favored or did not care about that Miss Ning. If one said he did not care about her, he flipped her name tag many times. If one said he did care about her, then why would he use this reason, that Miss Ning’s surname was an offense to Consort Ning’s title, to bestow her the title of Qian?  

“Noble Lady Qian?” Once the empress had heard the emperor’s decree, she smiled. “The scenery of the southern buildings is as beautiful as ever. One must not hate for no reason. A beauty leans against a fence as she plays a flute. Among the sound of plum blossoms tumbling to the ground tonight, resentment against difficulties. Indeed, it’s a decent title.”  

“Why did the emperor suddenly think about changing her title?” asked Diancui with hesitation. “Your Majesty, the emperor stayed over at Xihe Palace last night. Then would this have something to do with Xianrong Zhao?”  

“Whether or not it has anything to do with her, the emperor has already issued the decree. We only need to correct our way of addressing Noble Lady Qian,” said the empress, her smile never changing. However, her gaze seemed somewhat cold. 

Whether or not this was the product of Zhuang Laoyan’s doing, the fact that the emperor would still remember her while doting on Noble Lady Qian made Zhuang Laoyan’s position in his heart evident. However, even if the emperor favored her more than he favored Noble Consort Shu, it wouldn’t be a bad thing. At the very least, Zhuang Laoyan wouldn’t scheme as much as the other party.    

After Ning Shengyu received the decree, she stood at a loss. What did it mean by her surname acting as an offense to Consort Ning’s title? She did not have a special title when she had first entered the palace, so used her surname as one. Yet this could be considered an offense? 

“Master…” Chenxi looked at her in worry.  

“It’s fine.” Ning Shengyu looked down. “In this imperial harem, isn’t a special title proof of the emperor’s favor?”    

However, this title wasn’t very good. The Qian character was akin to a joke.  

Every woman of the harem admired Zhuang Laoyan’s great method. This move both expressed goodwill toward Consort Ning and warned the newly-arrived Miss Ning.       

As everyone sighed with emotion regarding Zhuang Laoyan’s favor, something happened in the harem again: Noble Lady Ye’s corpse was found in the dried up well of Jingqui Pavilion. The dried up well was not deep, and the height would not kill someone should they fall in. As such, the emperor was furious and ordered for an investigation.

“Your Majesties the emperor and empress, this slave found this within the lapel of Noble Lady Ye’s breast pocket. It seems Noble Lady Ye took advantage of the murderer’s inattention to leave behind some evidence,” said an eunuch of the Department of the Palace, presenting a piece of damaged silk fabric.     

The empress looked at the item on the tray. It was clear that a peacock tail was drawn on the silk fabric. Apparently, Noble Lady Ye had rushed to tear a small piece and hid it in her breast pocket.  

Feng Jin, who was drinking tea with the empress, also took a look. The tips of his brows furrowed a hint.  

“Your Majesty the empress, this slave thinks the peacock tail feathers of this fabric seems similar to the one on the kite Her Highness Xianrong Zhao was flying before.” Heyu frowned as she took more looks at the piece of silk fabric on the tray. “Perhaps this slave is mistaken.”       

“No matter what, this case must be carefully investigated.” The empress turned her head toward the emperor. “Your Majesty, what does your honored self think…?” She knew that Zhuang Laoyan was favored. On the day Xianrong Zhao had flown a kite, the emperor was with her. As such, only after the emperor opened his mouth would she feel relieved in having people investigate her.

“Since Xianrong Zhao is involved in this case, then have her come for a questioning.” Feng Jin set down his teacup. “We also want to get to the bottom of this.”    

The empress nodded toward the head eunuch, and he retreated in silence.     

Expressionless, Feng Jin’s gaze fell upon a blue and white porcelain teacup. He did not appear as if he discovered that a favored imperial concubine had murdered someone.