His Pov: Chapter 2

Jungkook's POV:

Once I am done with the dumbbells, I'll move on to abs. Methodical and silent, I make my way through my daily routine. I am fully aware of just how difficult it is for me to build muscle compared to some of my international peers in the modeling industry. The modeling industry, however, doesn't care about what is difficult for me. I want to be a model, and I want to build a long, successful career in the industry. "And I am willing to do whatever it takes to make that happen." I said. For most models, it's a struggle just to pass auditions. The world is filled with rivals waiting in the wings to exploit a moment of weakness, trying to take my place. I can't afford to have an off day. I've just got to keep working. Good things come to those who keep the faith. If I believe in anything, I believe in that. Hard work will never betray you. To the public at large, the modeling world must seem glamorous and fun. But it takes a lot of blood, sweat and tears to survive in this world. There's no such thing as a job that's glamorous all the time. "Ahh..." I am out of breath. "But I can't afford to relax." Back in the day, when I was just breaking into the industry. There was a time when I let my guard down completely.

One day, I got a call from my modeling agency at the time, demanding I show up for an emergency meeting. Agency president, "What in the fuck is all this, Jungkook?!"

"...?"

FWAP!

I pick up the magazine he throws down onto the table. The pictures and headings I see make my blood run cold. "'Supermodel Jeon Jungkook's Sordid Affair with a Married Woman'!" I exclaimed. What is this...? The pictures are of my girlfriend and I. But what do they mean a married woman...? Oddly aware of my own shallow breathing, I run my eyes over the words on the page. A young couple shares a Kiss, bidding each other a reluctant farewell in front of an apartment building late at night. A closer look reveals the man pictured is Jeon Jungkook, the world's newest supermodel. After putting his girlfriend in a taxi...Jungkook walks back into his apartment to spend the remainder of the night alone. There's a reason this particular couple can't spend the night together, a reason that's revealed when the woman's taxi arrives at its destination. She's hiding a husband, a man who happens to be...a successful executive at one of the largest corporations in South Korea. "..." The revelation is devastating. Earth-shattering. I loved her from the bottom of my heart, trusted her completely. She's married? I am still reeling when the head of my agency looks at me and disdainfully snaps.

Agency president, "She played you for a fool, and you fell for it completely."

I was slapped with a fortune in breach of contract fees and dropped by my agency. My public image was destroyed. Just when I thought I would never work again, it was Jimin who offered me a helping hand.

Jimin, "The most popular girls tend to be beautiful, confident, intelligent, and well-mannered. Other than that, it's all about introducing appropriate candidates depending on the client's tastes. Bring me the S-Class list, JK."

"Okay..." I stated. I spent my days working for Jimin, helping him with his side business in order to pay off my penalty fees. Not a day went by that I didn't silently vow the following. I will never let myself be that vulnerable again. Especially not with a person.

A few years later...

I have managed to make a comeback in the modeling world. "..." With the critical eyes of the international fashion elite on me, I walk the runway at Paris fashion week. I am much more comfortable in this world now than when I was first introduced to it as a teen. Even when I was out of the public eye, I could never let go of this dream. I never want to stop walking in these shows. I'll do whatever it takes to make my dreams a reality. It's a good feeling to have the audience looking at me. I strike a pose at the end of the runway, and...the photographs waiting there all start snapping photos at once.

____________________

Staff, "Change into this next, Jungkook."

"Okay." I stated. After a quick change, I have my makeup touched up. Then, as I wait for my turn to take the runway, my eyes wander to the other models. "..." The guys around me are from all over the world, and although the runway is diverse, everyone has certain things in common. They're all taller than me, and they all have perfectly toned, muscular bodies. The next generation of young, unique, distinctive-looking models is on the rise. Will I still be relevant next year? It's taken a lot of hard work to claw my way to the position I occupy today. I dreamed of surpassing the models who were popular when I was younger. I wonder if they felt the way I do now. I would do anything to continue modeling. However, drive can only take you so far, no matter how hungry you are.

Male model, "Man, they called me back for THREE auditions before they finally told me I got the show. I hope I make it next season too. I don't want this to be my last fashion week."

Staff, "Everybody's saying you're a part of the next generation of up and comers."

"For real?!"

"Yeah. It's about time we shake things up."

"..." How am I going to survive? My stomach is in a knot. There's no guarantee I'll be here next season.

On the flight home...

A careless comment from the guy I'm making over worsens my mood. I know I don't work in fashion or anything, but, to me...the fashion world is a glamorous, magical place, and you were absolutely stunning on that runway. You really have no idea what you're talking about. "Wearing the latest in avant-garde fashion, walking down a runway with the eyes of the world watching... I suppose you think of the fashion world as a 'glamorous' place, but there's more to it than that." I said.

Seokjin, "?"

Jimin, "Don't be such a wet blanket, JK. Listen to what Seokjin has to say." Why would I? He doesn't know anything about my work. My mind is elsewhere. I've been trying to treat his voice like background noise.

"Some of the other models were much taller than Jungkook, but... It was like the mood in the venue shifted when Jungkook walked out on the runway. Like he has a presence that commanded the audience's attention and made him seem somehow bigger than the other models..." 

"..." I seemed bigger than the other guys? What's wrong with this guy's eyes? Without meaning to, I start to listen to Seokjin.

"I thought the fashion world only cared about superficial things like a model's height and looks, but... In Paris with Jungkook, I realized the ways in which a model makes use of their unique personal attributes are also important."

"..." Do I need to work on being more distinctive? Where is he getting this shit from?

"Anyway, I guess what I am saying is... Jungkook really know how to wear the hell out of anything he's dressed in. He owned that runway."

"..." Great. But coming from you, I couldn't. For whatever reason, I don't finish that thought. All of a sudden, my heart feels lighter, like I had been holding my breath and just exhaled. "You really are something. I don't know if it's that you think about things in a different paradigm, or... If it's just sheer optimism..." I let out. Pulling the blanket up to my shoulders, I close my eyes. After that, it's not long before I start to nod off. Hmm. I. My mind wanders back and forth between the waking and sleeping world's until...I drift off pleasantly into dream land. How many years has it been since I last fell asleep in front of anyone? Much less felt this relaxed in front of a man.