Chapter 13 (Bodies on Fire)

[A/N: Smut scene in the chapter. Minors proceed with caution.]

Seokjin's POV:

The mood backstage is tense. The fashion show is about to begin. Jungkook, "Remember to walk like I told you."

"Got it." I said. A monitor shows what's happening on the other side of the curtain in real time. Realizing it's a full house doesn't do anything to help my nerves. I showed up here ready to do this. But I can't believe I am going to walk a runway without even rehearsing. I probably bit off more than I can chew. Dressed in the brand's clothes, models, split into couples, walk the runway hand in hand. Unlike other high-fashion shows, the models take the runway smiling. Oh lord, I can't do this. What if I embarrass Jungkook? No matter how many deep breaths I take, I can't seem to calm down.

"Everything is fine. You're not alone." Jungkook offers me his hand.

"Jungkook..." I've got to have faith...faith in Jungkook and faith in myself. Nothing's going to change until I take the first step. Determined, I take Jungkook's hand, and he squeezes mine tight.

"Smile. It's our turn. Let's go."

Hand in hand, we stride down the runway together. Jungkook, "..."

"...!" My nerves are so bad that nothing feels quite real. The lights don't seem as bright as they should. Even the music playing in the hall seems to fade away. Jungkook is here. Everything's fine. Reassuring myself, I eventually work up the nerve to look at the audience. From the vantage point of the runway, I have a clear view of every individual's face.

Audience member 1, "Excellent styling, both on the men."

Audience member 2, "That's Jungkook, right? He really knows how to work an outfit like no other."

Audience member 3, "The guy with him is pretty good too." Although some of the comments are warm and complimentary, I also hear negative reactions.

Audience member 4, "Is this some kind of joke? No way is that guy Jungkook's boyfriend."

Audience member 6, "He could have his pick of models and actors and actresses."

Audience member 6, "All I can think is that he's in the midst of some sort of crises after being fired." I knew I would have to hear this kind of pettiness. I know better than to take their comments to heart, but they still sting. Just then, Jungkook gives my hand a little squeeze. It turns out to be not just one squeeze, but four, punched out in a distinct rhythm. What the?

Jungkook, "..." Ba, baba-ba. The melody repeats. What's he trying to tell me? Ba, baba-ba. What WOULD he be trying to tell me now...? Ba, baba-ba. Oh, I think I get it. Is he saying, I understand? By the time I figure out his code, we've reached the end of the runway. We stop walking and smile at the crowd.

"..." Our eyes meet at the same moment, and a smile so slight you could miss it if you blink appears on Jungkook's face.

"..." Oh my god. Far from a forced smile, it's the real deal. Then, a natural smile spreads across my face as well. "Finally, I got a smile out of you."

"Lucky you." I stated. As we gaze into each other's eyes, there's a flurry of clicking shutters and flashes. The gossipy whispers fade away, replaced by cheers and applause.

Audience member 1, "That's more than just good styling; it shows their personalities. That's why they look so good."

Audience member 2, "I think I'm starting to understand why Jungkook chose that guy." You'd better! The smiles in the audience blow away all of my pre-runway jitters. And I naturally squeeze Jungkook's hand tight. I'm standing here with Jungkook, proud of how far I've come. But this never would have happened if I didn't put in all that hard work. Still holding Jungkook's hand, I hold my head up high as I stride back up the runway. The smile on my face isn't for show. It comes from the heart. I am not living for anyone else. I am living for me. This is the first day of the rest of Kim Seokjin's life. Then, I remember something Jungkook once told me.