Feng Jin had slept for less than two hours, when it was already time to attend morning court. After he was fully dressed in his imperial robes and crown, he climbed on top of his personal sedan. No matter where he went, people would kneel at the sight of his procession. Through it all, he could only see the bowed heads of the eunuchs and palace maids.  

As he sat on the honorable imperial throne engraved with dragons, and listened as the ministers gave their reports one after the other, some important and some not, his expression proved neutral, displaying not a hint of exhaustion.  

Perhaps these officials all knew that Third Prince had already passed away, for they did not make a fuss and argue. What should be said was said. Not a hint of frivolous, unnecessary words left their mouths.   

Once court ended, the officials left in groups. Each of them strained their ears and tried to read others’ lips for any news, while their own faces revealed nothing and showcased their ignorance of the matters.  

Currently in the court, the Zhao family, Su family, Ye family, Zhuang family, Jiang family, and Xu family had daughters in the imperial harem. In fact, they were women who received the emperor’s favor. It could be assumed that these people knew a bit of what was going on.  

However, as the others looked at these ministers, each of them seemed more ignorant of the matters than the last. Faint regret filled the others’ hearts, but they could do nothing about it. Those people was a group of old foxes.  

Feng Jin listened as a eunuch read aloud the items on the menu for his noon meal. After he had declined a few dishes, Feng Jin waved the eunuch off impassively. And he returned to the memorial in front of him.   

Not long after the eunuch had left, an interior supervision eunuch arrived. In his hands lay a tray of the name tags belonging to the imperial concubines. Impatient, Feng Jin sighed. He swept his gaze through the tray. He wanted the eunuch to leave, but in the end, he flipped a name tag without thinking.  

Once the interior supervision eunuch saw the identity of the imperial concubine, he thought, oh! It was actually Chongyi Zhao again.  

At the lotus pond of Xihe Palace, the pink and white lotuses bloomed brilliantly. After Zhuang Laoyan had paid respects to the empress, she must go through this path to return to Xihe Palace. But today, she caught sight of a familiar figure.  

That person was the empress’ cousin, Ronghua Sun. Today, she wore a light brown blouse with a wrap-around skirt. She stood by an artificial mountain, From her appearance, it didn’t seem like she was here to admire the lotus pond.  

“This concubine greets Chongyi Zhao.” Ronghua Sun seemed more wan than before. Even her skin appeared duller. Sitting on her sedan, Zhuang Laoyan excused Ronghua Sun from performing her ceremony. With a faint nod, she said, “Is Ronghua Sun here to admire the lotuses?”    

A few days ago, because she had spoken without thinking and offended Consort Rou, Consort Rou had punished Ronghua Sun to kneeling for an hour. Furthermore, because she had offended Xiuyi Su, she had been slapped. And because the emperor and empress did not react to these things, her days in the harem grew even worse.  

Zhuang Laoyan remembered not too long ago, this young girl had provoked her at this same lotus pond. Apparently, not even half a month later, she had lost her naivety.   

“Since the lotuses are in such a magnificent bloom, this concubine came to take a look.” Ronghua Sun stared at the pond. Her expression did not seem strange. “But this concubine does not want to disturb Chongyi Zhao.”