67

"I can't feel his pulse!"

Yujin blacked out for a second.

"Noona, we need to go!" Chenle's voice was thick with tears and panic as he tried to pull Yujin forward, away from Dalah Cafés backdoor.

Away from Jeno.

Yujin couldn't breathe.

"We have to go now", Chenle pleaded, "They will help him!"

"I can't leave him", Yujin muttered. Her lips were white. Her mind was blank. The only thing in her head was Jeno.

Jeno, who didn't have pulse.

"Yujin noona, please!" Chenle shook her arm. He managed to pull her few steps away from the door but the pace was too slow. They wouldn't get away from the café before authorities showed up. "You can't do anything for him now", Chenle tried to reason with her despite tears building up in his eyes.

The backdoor behind them opened and slammed closed again.

"What are you still doing here?" Hendery demanded to know. His voice was shaking and he had difficulties controlling the volume. "We need to leave!"

"Jeno", Yujin mumbled and tried to force Chenle to let go off her. She couldn't think and her lips were quivering. "I have to do something."

"Yujin", sweet but stern voice called her. Yujin's wandering eyes found the speaker. Jungwoo. "You can help Jeno by getting away."

Yujin shook her head furiously. He was lying. "But - "

Jungwoo interrupted her. "All of these poachers know your face. We didn't get them all at the headquarters, and the rest of them will come after us. If they see you, they'll know that the people with you are doublers."

Yujin stared. She didn't notice that Hendery and Chenle were pulling and pushing her away from the café.

"Yuta said that he doesn't have a pulse", she managed to say. "He might... If they don't..."

Someone pushed her into a car and closed the door. She didn't have the strength to resist.

"We can protect him by minimizing the risk of exposing him", Jungwoo replied from the front seat.

"They will do everything they can", Chenle said next to her. "It will be alright." He sounded like he was trying to convince himself.

Yujin stared at her hands. They were covered in Jeno's blood.

I can't feel his pulse.

No pulse.

His heart had stopped beating.

Yujin breathed in and out. Her lungs were tired. She couldn't get enough air.

They would do everything they could, they would -

No pulse.

No pulse.

No pulse.

Yujin's heart beat accelerated.

He had no pulse.

She couldn't see anything but his pale face and his wound. His blood was everywhere.

No pulse.

Yujin pressed her hands against her face. His blood smeared her face. Her breathing was uneven. "No, no, no, no -"

"Breathe, Yujin-ah", Jungwoo advised her from the front seat. He was crying too but sounded like he was trying to be strong for everyone in the car.

Chenle was rocking from side to side beside her and she tried to time her breathing with his movements but it was impossible.

No pulse.

No pulse.

No pulse.

When they reached the parking lot of an apartment building, Jungwoo and Hendery had to drag Yujin and Chenle inside.

Yujin didn't care that she had never been inside this apartment before. She didn't care about the sea of anxious faces that greeted them as soon as they stumbled over the threshold.

Jungwoo let go of her and she slid against the wall to the floor, curling up in a ball and hugging her knees.

No pulse.

No pulse.

No pulse.

Jeno smiling.

Jeno hugging her.

Jeno being the sun in her world.

Jeno, Jeno, Jeno -

No pulse.

Had she not been panicking, Yujin would have seen the dreamies huddle next to her.

She would've seen the tears in their eyes, and the empty stare on Jaemin's face as he refused to understand what was going on, or to react to anything happening around him. She would've heard how Haechan wailed quietly in the corner as if he had lost a limb. She would've seen how Jisung was trying to console them all while shaking furiously. She would've seen how Renjun still hadn't woken up after being injected, and how Mark was staying beside him while shedding silent tears. She would've seen how Doyoung grasped the roots of his hair, blaming himself for everything.

No pulse.

No pulse.

No pulse.

The other members of the pack wiped away their tears and tried to gather their thoughts. They had to be strong for those who needed them.

No pulse.

No pulse.

No pulse.

Yujin couldn't cry.

She was breaking apart. Nothing made sense. Nothing mattered.

No pulse.

No pulse.

No pulse.

A phone started ringing.

Yujin wanted to run to it and answer. And, at the same time, she wanted to break the phone and never listen to what the person on the other end of the line wanted to say.

She couldn't take it.

No pulse.

No pulse.

The room was completely silent.

Doyoung stared at the phone in his hand.

No pulse.

"Hello?"