16

For a long second, Yujin and the young doubler stared at each other in a deafening silence.

Yujin knew that she was supposed to get the hell out of there the minute she saw him, since it was clear that he was a tracker or otherwise connected to the people who were hunting Jeno (and now, apparently, Yujin as well). She was thinking about it, thinking how she was supposed to be far gone already, yet she just stood there, staring at the kid.

It was weird to see a doubler who was on the opposite side. Even though Yujin had gone through her fair share of encounters with both hunters and poachers, she had never faced a doubler working as a tracker.

"If you fight back, they'll kill you", the boy spoke up quietly. His dark, narrow eyes were anxious and his thin face was almost as grey as Yujin's had been when she had woken up from her couch after passing out due to concussion and blood loss.

"Then I probably shouldn't stick around", she said in response, trying to get her legs moving. Why wasn't she running away?

The boy glanced to his left and when Yujin followed his gaze, she saw that a group of people were trying to hide between two apartment buildings, maybe twenty meters from them.

His fingers were fidgeting. Yujin noticed that he had big hands and feet, like a puppy of a big dog whose large paws were waiting for the rest of the body to catch up.

"You can't run from them. They said that if you go back with them, they won't hurt you", he explained, trying to sound confident.

Yujin took a step backwards. It was obvious that he was lying.

"I suppose what you mean is that they won't hurt you if you manage to make me come quietly", she guessed with a flat voice.

The boy flinched.

"No", he hurried to say and glimpsed at the people waiting and hiding between the buildings. He was getting visibly more anxious, as he shifted his weight from one side to another. "It's... They're - they're not...", he stumbled on his words.

Yujin took another step backwards.

"I'm sorry, kid", she said. His fear pricked her heart. "I hope that you'll find a way to get out."

"Don't go", he pleaded when she turned around.

Once again Yujin ran away.

Footsteps echoed behind her, as the rest of the group realised that she wasn't staying. Knowing that all of them were going to run after her didn't really lift her spirit, especially when she was already tired and wounded. Of course, now that she was running for her life (again), her body was surging with adrenaline but that couldn't give her endless strength.

As she was running, Yujin tried to rack her brain to come up with a plan of some kind. She ran past a group of people and, for a second, she considered asking for their help.

No. They'd want to get police involved if she'd tell them that she was escaping from people who were trying to kidnap or kill her. She couldn't have her personal information attached to any files of that kind.

Yujin was planning to turn left from the next intersection. The area she and Taeil lived in was quiet during nights so she should find more lively area to hide in.

Her plans were lynched when she saw that people in dark hoodies were running towards her from that same intersection.

They had spread out more than the other day.

Damn it.

Yujin kept running and her feet took her towards the next intersection as she started to panic. What could she do now? Most of the places were already closed for the day and the people after her were clearly herding her, trying to force her to place that would be quiet enough.