32

Fatima

I called Pablo to come to meet us out front, so we wouldn't have to walk in alone.

"Finally! Yall took your fucking time" Pablo came from around the house, I rolled my eyes at him as a response.

"Is she in there?" I asked Pablo, my blood was warming up. He nodded.

I didn't want to fight her or anything, I just didn't want to see her or be around her.

"Let's just get this over with" I groaned, Oscar's hand squeezed mine.
Pablo escorted us to the backyard, the smell of burning charcoal was in the air.

Pablo led us over to where he was sitting on the patio, I set my purse down.

"Let's go greet everyone" I huffed, never letting go of his hand. He nodded, as we headed inside first.

Inside my granny's house was the same, Some of my favorite memories took place in this house.

We went around greeting my aunts and uncles. What came as a surprise to me is how easily Oscar blended in with my family.

"I haven't seen you in so long" my aunt Simone, pulled me to the side. Oscar was with Pablo and my other cousins. "I see you finally left that other trash as-" Simone muttered as Melina came over to us with her husband.

"Fatima, I'm so glad you came!" she smiled, her husband looked me up and down, I couldn't tell if he was looking at me in a good way or a bad way. "I was forced," I said in a jokingly manner.

He scoffed, rolling his eyes, and walked away. "I was literally joking," I said looking at Melina, "I know, and he knows, he's just in a bad mood" She waved him off. 

"Hey, Do you want to go talk?" She asked, I knew this was going to happen. I knew this conversation was going to happen, I just didn't think it was going to happen so soon.

I nodded and followed her out to the front porch.

______________________________

We sat down on the porch swing in front of the house, I sighed, mentally preparing myself for this.

"Well first thing, Fatima, I am so sorry for leaving you and your brothers, I thought about you guys ever-" I cut her off with my hand, 

"you didn't have to think about us, you could've come to see us, you weren't divorcing your kids. You divorced your husband" I stared into her eyes.

All the things that I"ve been waiting to say to her were finally being said, I could feel the weight being lifted from my chest. 

"Since the day that you left, I've imagined this conversation going so many different ways, I thought of all the names I could call you, the ways that I could tell you that I hate you, and so on" I sighed, I could feel the tears ready to pour out of my eyes.

"Fa-" she tried to speak, but I stopped her again. "I get to talk first, I deserve to speak first" she nodded her head understandingly.