.ch 43 esa.

"Are you... late?" he asks the question like he's embarrassed to say that word. Like it's a curse.

"No," I shake my head, pulling back the covers. Sitting on the edge of the bed, I bite my lip. I'm the one who's embarrassed.

"Then why...?" he glances back toward the bathroom.

He's doing it again. Shutting down. He's barely saying words. I can see it in his eyes. He's worried. He doesn't want to have a baby with me. I don't blame him. It's not really how I thought it would happen either. But still, that realization stings.

I decide to be honest though. I'll get nothing if he thinks I'm hiding from him. "I guess, I was just hoping I might be." I chew my lower lip, shifting on the edge of the bed. The test was negative though, it doesn't matter.

"You hoped you were pregnant?" he asks.

"I know, it's crazy but-" he stops me. Crashing forward, his kiss covers my mouth. I instantly pull away, because what the fuck is happening?

"You are the most beautiful thing that I don't deserve," his strong hands cup my face. "Seeing you carrying my child is a dream. The fact that you would even want that is-" he cuts himself off.

"I want you," I say, nuzzling my head into his hand. "I want every bit of you. I want a life with you."

The biggest part of me wants him to say he loves me. I would tell him, but I need him to say it first. It's not real until he says it. I could say the words all day, every day, but until he does, they're meaningless.