Ch 269: Maple

Lin Ye wondered if his bad luck was actually a curse.

Accidentally sending the easily-misunderstood text messages to all of his contacts. Such a cliche could only happen in the cheesy entertainment sources he used to enjoy in his previous life, or so he thought. Looking at the reply text messages, Lin Ye's first thought was why the text messages didn't have the micro-reply function? The second thought was about why these women weren't sleeping at this hour and why they were still on their phones. Third, he's glad that he has no parents in this world. Explaining this to them would be an extremely difficult task.

Why am I thinking about my parents all of a sudden?

Lin Ye shakes his head and throws out those thoughts.

Fortunately, Irene made a lot of typos, and not everyone understood what she wanted to express, But the people who did decipher Irene's nonsense are gonna be a hassle to deal with.

How should I respond? This doing to be difficult. Is it best to send the explanation in a group and simply type "I'm sorry for sending you the wrong message"? If I do that they will ask who is that message for. It will just make it worse! Explain everything that is really happening? If I claim to have discovered a wounded Feline lady in the snow. She couldn't speak because she was injured, so she texted him she wanted medicine to express her appreciation to him... That's stupid! No one would believe me! Okay, calm down me. You can do this.

Lin Ye racks his head on a reply, unfortunately, God did not even give him the luxury of even that. Lin Ye hears a buzzing sound as his phone goes black.

Lin Ye desperately tries rebooting the device to no avail

He looks at his gloves that were covered in snow, it seems like the snow melted and water seeped into the phone.

Lin Ye curses this world's faulty production and manufacturing standards, Lin Ye can't help but despair at the delicacy of the phones of this world.

"Goddammit!" Lin Ye can't help but scream. He is furious, "How could I be so unlucky!".

Irene, who is sitting on the side, heard Lin Ye's words and felt his anger. Just like a frightened cat, her eyes fill with panic. She didn't know the misunderstanding of group texting but thought that Lin Ye was angry because of her.

Lin Ye is indeed angry, but angry because his phone is scrapped.

Another misunderstanding he has to clear up, Lin Ye shakes his head. He doesn't blame Irene, not in the state that she is in right now. He knows that she didn't mean it.

Therefore, he takes a deep breath, tries to calm his mind, and then hands food to Irene, "it's not your fault, just eat for now."

Irene still didn't dare to pick it up because she is terrified. Lin Ye became concerned as a result of this. She was a girl with such beautiful eyes when he first met her a few days ago. There is only one thing left in them now, terror.

He has no idea what has happened to Irene these days. Any normal person who grew up in a civilised society and received a good education would be saddened by this kind of thing.

"You can rest here for a few days." Lin Ye states, "You don't need to wait that long... When Silverash's business is finished, I'll take you to Rhodes Island. There, I can show you someone that can heal your tongue and allow you to speak again."

Irene understands Lin Ye's words, and when she realised she might be able to regain her speaking ability, her dim pupils began to brighten. Lin Ye notices a shift in Irene's mood. He's much more at ease now. He wanted to comfort Irene by patting her head, but as soon as he stretched out his hand, Irene shrank subconsciously. But when he finally touches her head, she calms down.

Still afraid of people huh? But why do I want to put my hand on a girl's head? How did this habit develop?

It's strange that he's never held a girl's hand before, but now he's subconsciously patting girls' heads.

Maybe it because of my ability?

"Then, have a good rest.", Lin Ye didn't bother to think too much.

He gets up from the fire after giving Irene the dry food and boiled water and says, "It is alright for you to sleep in a tent. Your current situation is far from ideal. Wait and rest. I can assist you."

Irene gives a slight nod.

Lin Ye was about to leave and walk around when he remembered something. He pulls a catnip from his pocket and throws it to Irene.

"When you're feeling uneasy, chew it." Lin Ye advised her and went to guard the area.

Lin Ye didn't venture far from the camp, which strained his nerves. It's like bowstrings that are too tight and easily broken. Lin Ye and Irene are in a "hostile" relationship, so he can't persuade her. The best thing to do is to provide Irene with food and water, as well as a safe place to sleep. Tomorrow will be a whole lot better. This is analogous to raising a cat. A scared cat should always be left alone for a while to recover. So, Lin Ye takes a seat not too far from Irene. He can't see her, but he can tell if she moves by the movement of the tent.

Lin Ye stabs Maple in the snow.

Lin Ye murmurs loudly enough for her to hear, "You should hurry up and fall asleep."

He only receives a small nod in response.

"I don't want to spend the night here because it's too cold." Lin Ye muttered to himself as he looked up to the snowy sky.

The snow is very cold at night. Lin Ye takes Maple just to see if this god's blade can heat up.

It appears that it lacked that ability.

Lin Ye is feeling drained. He wants to sleep. So, he sits in front of Maple, holding the blade's handle and supporting his chin with it.

The wind in his ears has vanished.

A solemn silence looms over the area, so quiet, even his heartbeat seems audible.

*Badump*

*Badump*

Lin Ye has a sudden feeling that something is wrong.

It doesn't sound like it's his heartbeat.

Lin Ye blinks open his eyes.

He leaps to his feet, as if it were a reflex, and pulls Maple out of the snow. Because the action was so large, the snow around it was blasted up.

Maple clashes with another sword among the falling snowflakes.

Lin Ye's eyes meet the cold gaze of his assailant.

Maple easily cuts through the other sword.

{Rhodes Island's Psychologist}

Draft bu Jaq

Proofread by Weebly

Edit by Jaq