xxv. feels like summer

Start from the beginning

Walking through the cafe's front door, Evan and Arabella were greeted with the sweet smell of sugar and coffee. Evan wasn't much of a coffee drinker until he met Arabella. He swore that the girl drank more coffee than water. He had tried multiple to tell her that her body needed water, which made her respond with 'it's a liquid, so it's as good as water.'

"Good morning, Lucy!" Arabella chirped as she got closer to the register. Lucy, the owner, gave her the young pair a sweet smile. She was an older woman, almost seventy in age, though she was young at heart.

"Hello, Arabella and Evan!" the woman greeted, "what can I get you two today?"

"It's going to be two cappuccinos and four chocolate croissants."

Evan snorted, "four?"

"Obviously," Arabella said, "two for now and two for later."

"That's all, Lucy," she quickly added.

Lucy finished writing their order and started preparing it for them. Evan and Arabella waited by the cash register, talking about what they were going to do for the day. Arabella hadn't told Evan that she had an order meeting that night. She was itching to tell him, but she knew it was best to let Dumbledore about his situation first.

"What are we do today?" questioned Evan.

Arabella scratched the back of her head, "Well, I've got something to do later, but we can hang out until then. Maybe go get you some normal muggle clothes."

"Where are you going?"

"I'm-umm- going with the girls to do some shopping," she said, hoping that her voice didn't waver. She didn't like to lie.

Evan nodded understandingly, "Alright. And yeah, I need new clothes."

Arabella smiled gently at the boy, grateful that he didn't pry. Since he had gotten to her apartment, Evan had become a little reserved. Arabella could tell that Evan forced his smile at times, and the days after his arrival, he would stay in his room. At night, Arabella could hear soft cries coming from his room. She couldn't even begin to know what it was like for him at Rosier manor.

"Here you are, darlings," Lucy came back with the order in her hands. The pair thanked her profusely, paid, and left the small establishment.

----

When they got back to the apartment, they both went their separate ways, wanting to shower and get ready for the day. Arabella was sporting high-waisted flared blue jeans with a cropped brown halter top. She left her hair to air dry as she walked from her room to the kitchen. There she found Evan already dressed and ready to go. He was wearing the only thing that looked remotely muggle: black sweatpants and a Queen t-shirt.

He definitely needs a makeover. She thought.

"Ready?" she questioned, grabbing her purse and putting on her converse. Evan nodded and headed towards the door, only to stop halfway.

"I um don't have any money Ara," he murmured and looked down in shame.

Arabella chuckled lightly, "It's alright, I'll pay."

"But Ara, you can't keep paying for me."

"Ev, I have more than enough money to last me a lifetime. I don't mind spending it on you," Arabella smiled at the boy. "Now come on, we have a lot to do."

Arabella had her fingers on the door's handle but stopped again when she heard tapping from the kitchen window. She narrowed her eyes at the sound, noticing the large black owl that did not belong to anyone she knew. She looked towards Evan questioningly, only to see that he recognized the owl.