Chapter 18: Deals

Bright and early, Alyanna was in a cute white sundress with puffy sleeves to give off that sweet girl vibe. She wanted to look like an angel across her devilish soon-to-be ex-husband. She was crying the whole night after he left her in her hotel room.

Pero ngayon, alam niyang panahon na para gumanti sa lahat ng kasinungalin na ipinaniwala nito sa kanya.

And now, she was sitting across him on a long table in a hotel restaurant with their attorneys on both sides. Pavel was there as well. Konstantin was looking dashing as ever in his normal three-piece suit. Romulo wasn't there but he was the one who helped her get an attorney.

"Good morning," her lawyer initiated as he put down his briefcase and opened it to bring out the necessary documents. "Today, my client requested to make everything as smooth as possible."

Konstantin's lawyer leaned in. "We're skipping introductions now. I'm Pavel, consigliere to Konstantin Denaro-Sokolov."

"Fine, introductions first. I'm Atty. Smith." The middle-aged man extended his hand to no avail.

"You're Romulo's trusted adviser," Konstantin butted in, looking at the man disgustingly.

Smith was caught off guard at his recognition. "I am," he admitted.

"Which means this whole thing was plotted by my dear brother," Konstantin continued, this time looking at her in the eye from across the table. "Now I get it. He's using you to gain control of the family... my family that threw him away years before. I don't know why he wants to be back after all that he's done to betray the clan. And I don't know why you can't see how he's a lying piece of shit, Alyanna."

He called her by her name. No more 'mi cara' or other endearments. She winced in pain and tried to hide it as best as she could. "This has nothing to do with him. It's a personal decision and you know why. You've been lying to me ever since we met." Her voice sounded weak. She recognized it. But she had no energy anymore after how they left things out a few nights ago.

"If you leave me, I get 50% of your wealth," Konstantin declared confidently as he faced her.

"I won't allow that. My attorney and I can only offer-"

"You said so when you signed our marriage contract," he cut her off.

"What do you mean?" she asked, suddenly nervous now while looking at her attorney.

Konstantin threw their marriage contract at the center of the table, earning a glare from her.

Dinampot iyon ng attorney ni Alyanna at binasa. At pagkatapos ay tumingin sa dalaga. "You married him and signed off 50% of your properties to him in case of marital dissolution. This is a marriage contract and pre-nuptial agreement in one."

"That can't be. I... I didn't even know I was signing such thing. He tricked me!"

"You were given ample time to review this prior to signing," Pavel declared.

"I don't remember being given time," she countered.

"Stay married to me. Because if not, I'll cut you off dry until you don't own a single penny," Konstantin threatened.

"You're evil."

"I'm never one to trifle with, mi cara," he said and stood up. "That is all. I'm staying in Madison. Let me know if you changed your mind about the divorce. Don't even think about going down the route of annulment. We both know we consummated our marriage... so many times." At umalis na ito sa hotel restaurant na iyon.

****

After the meeting, Alyanna decided to walk around New York. She's been here before after a few flights back and fro. But she never once got to explore the place. At least, malilibang siya kaysa magmukmok sa hotel room niya.