Chapter 9: A Royal Funeral

Alyanna was in the midst of the palace garden that was now crowded with a lot of people - Russians, Italians and other Europeans. Hindi siya makapaniwala sa laki ng impluwensya ng pamilya ng mga Denaro at Sokolov.

"You need anything else, Miss?" tanong sa kanya ng isa sa mga bodyguard niya.

Umiling lamang siya habang hawak ang isang wine glass. At naglaho na muli ang bodyguard niya. She knew she's still being guarded. Nadagdagan pa nga yata ng mga lima ang mga bodyguards niya ngayon.

And then she looked at him, masayang nakikipag-usap ngayon si Konstantin sa mga kaibigan nito. Alexei was there again and the rest of his other friends. Nagtataka siya na labis ang kasiyahan ng binata ng mabalitaang patay na ang ama nito.

It happened yesterday at ginanap kagad ang libing nito ngayong umaga. It was like Konstantin couldn't wait to get rid of the old man.

The old man knew who she was. Pero paano?

"Deep in thought?" a voice in front of her asked.

Kaagad niyang tinitigan ang babaeng may-ari ng boses na iyon. "Natasha!" she greeted.

"You look so happy to see me, Alyanna," masayang pansin nito.

"I am. I mean, how are you? Did Alexei found about the..."

Natasha just nodded briefly. "He nearly killed me."

"What?" Tumitig siya sa paligid, ensuring that no one is near enough to hear them.

"Turns out one of my men turned us in. Alexei found out. So he told Konstantin who had your bodyguards on full alert at that time," Natasha spilled. "Pero syempre, hindi niya sasabihin kay Konstantin na ako ang may pakana ng lahat. Your boyfriend would kill me. And Alexei would kill him but it would be hard for my husband since they're really good friends."

"We are not in a relationship," mariing deklarasyon niya na may halong inis.

"Sinabi ko rin 'yan sa sarili ko noon. I tried to escape too, you know. Pero mapait yata talaga ang kapalaran. How have you been?"

"Isang linggo na ako ditong nakakulong," bulong niya.

Natasha just smiled. "Well, of course. Is he still using Romulo as reason to keep you by his side?"

"I think he knows me." Alyanna looked around. "I think Konstantin's father knows me, too. Pinaniwala lang niya ako that he's keeping me to ensure I'm not a spy."

"Does he?" Natasha asked, now stealing a glance at her own husband na kausap ngayon ni Konstantin. "Let's find out." And Natasha pulled her towards the two men.

Alyanna figured out late na sina Alexei and Konstantin pala ang tinatahak nila kaya huli na para mag-back out siya dahil napansin na sila ng dalawang lalaki habang papalapit sa mga ito.

"My condolences, Kon," Natasha sincerely said.

Konstantin nodded at her then smiled. "All is well. We all know this is a cause of celebration more than any other. We have an after-party tonight," masayang balita nito.

"My cousin here is more than thrilled," natatawang wika naman ni Alexei. "How have you been, Alyanna?" baling bigla ni Alexei sa kanya. "Has Kon been treating you well?"

"I...," she stuttered. "I... I am well."

Alexei eyed Konstantin curiously and asked, "Have you been treating your soon-to-be bride well? She looks uneasy."

Nagulat sina Natasha at Alyanna sa sinabi ni Alexei patungkol sa kanya.

Konstantin's lips grew thin. "I think she's just tired," he said, trying to save her from responding further. Konstantin reached out to her and pulled her to his side. "Can we talk in private?" he asked her.

Alyanna quickly nodded and let him drag her in a secluded part of the garden. She needed to ask him what was going on.

Konstantin led her in a gazebo na mayroong maliit na sitting area sa gitna surrounded by plants.

"What soon-to-be bride?" galit na asik niya sa binata ng masigurong sila na lamang ang nandoon.

He was emotionless. "It's best to just go with the flow, Alyanna."

"What? Nababaliw ka na ba? You have been ignoring me for days. You never even visit me! You never even check on me, not until now kung kailan libing ng ama mo."

"I had been busy," he said. "Had I known you wanted my attention, I would have run to you as quick as I can."

"Liar!" she said.

"I needed to make sure I'm his heir," he stated. "You know how tough it can be with family... especially when the head dies. And my family is not like any other. I'm sure you understand that by now. I needed to secure what's rightfully mine."

"And how do I tie with all of this? I'm also sure you know by now I'm not anybody's spy. At alam kong alam mo iyon simula pa lang. Now, why can't you just simply tell me the truth? Why keep me in the dark? And why do I need to pretend to be your soon-to-be bride?"

He just laughed at her. "Because you are, mi cara..."

That endearment. It almost softened her heart... She missed him calling her that dahil ilang araw silang hindi nag-usap matapos ang pagtatalo nila noong isang araw na bigla na lamang niyang narinig na nakikipag-usap ito sa ama nito sa isang pribadong kwarto.

"I don't even know if I have the answers to all your questions and if you will like my answers at all," biglang seryosong wika nito. "For now, fix yourself. I will be announcing our engagement in a few minutes in front of everyone."

"What?" gulat na gulat na tanong niya. "You're crazy to think na papayag ako. You haven't even proposed to me! And you think-"

Just like that, he suddenly kneeled down in front of her, while fishing for something in his pocket. It was a little, black box. He opened it in front of her and inside was a ring... a ring encrusted with diamonds with a huge sapphire stone in the middle.

"What...." she whispered in shock. "This is...?"

"Alyanna Torres, would you do me the honor of becoming my wife?"

"Anong..." Alyanna was totally confused. Her face was a mixture of different emotions. But if there's one thing that's clear, it is that he has been keeping a lot of secrets from her. And she needed to know them all.

"Marry me," ulit nito. It was not a question anymore but more of an order.

"Nababaliw ka na talaga," she declared at tinalikuran ito.

"Alyanna!" tawag nito sa kanya. He was quick to follow her at hinigit siya nito sa kanang braso. "I proposed to you! Now, we'll announce our engagement," galit na wika nito sa kanya.

"I think you don't know how proposals work, Konstantin," she said. "You pop the question and for the engagement to happen, I have to say yes. Unfortunately, I didn't, so I'm afraid there is no engagement." At tinalikuran niya muli ito.

"Alyanna! Don't you dare walk away from me," sigaw nito at hinila muli siya.

"Ano ba! I already answered your goddamn question. I won't marry you."

"I need to marry within the week." He looks dead serious now. "I have to marry within the week or else I won't inherit a thing. My father was cruel enough to put a clause ensuring I'm married before I turn thirty or else I don't inherit anything at all."

Her eyes turned into slits.

"I'm turning thirty within the week, mi cara...," he stated, dropping the bomb finally. "If I don't marry by then, I won't be heir."

"What makes you think I would help you and agree with your proposal?"

"I have something you need," he whispered.

****

Hey all!!! It's my long breaaak again hanggang Easter Sunday so I'm taking this time to write the next chapters of this story. Comment down below kung excited kayo sa mga sunod na ganaps!!

VOTE, FOLLOW ME AND COMMENT BELOW!!